Sacrificing Chickens-The truth

I've heard stories from our Amish neighbors about our Hmong neighbors buying animals from them. I won't go into the details, I just smile and nod a lot in such conversations.

What a clash of cultures...
th.gif

Quote:
Smart indeed!!! Smile and nod....yes sir eee...
big_smile.png

This sounds like the start of one of those jokes... See there was this Organic chicken farmer, an Amish farmer, and a Hmong farmer....

----
Most of the Hmong in our area, come from Vietnam and Laos..

Got to love America.. the melting pot of the world..

ON

Quote:
South China down to South East Asia. Hmong people tend not to waste any meat. The gizzards, heart, and even the small intestines is cooked. The head and comb is a delicacy and if you have not tried dimsum chicken feet, you are really missing out. Ever heard of grilled chicken intestine? chewy and nutty. The butt is what everyone fights for and even the brain. I like stewed roo testes believe it or not. If you go to a Hmong family dinner or the Hmong new year, please ask what's cooking because you'll get a big surprise, especially if beef and pork is involved. You'll thank me later.

LOL. everytime one of the Hmong men i work with brings me in something i always ask to make sure
wink.png
I am wise beyond my years
smile.png
LMBO. but i gotta say the homemade sausage that was brought to me was excellent.. as well as the sweet meat. Like i said, i am pretty open minded and will try just about anything once. but i was assured that the stuff brought to me was "normal" to my standards LOL. I had some Phillipino friends when i was younger, and i remember when i ate supper at their house.. It was fish.. and the kids(who were my age) all fought for the eyeballs.. LOL. i will never ever forget that. But, i do know that every culture is different with the things they eat. maybe some stuff that we eat isn't considered good in other cultures and im fine with that. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. It's pretty neat to hear things straight from the horses mouth so to speak. I'm sure some people on here may not be as welcoming as others in hearing about certain cultural aspects, but they are losing out i must say. I am very glad you have shared with us.

ETA i use the gizzards, hearts and livers of my chickens. don't think i could do the intestines though.
smile.png
one of the Hmong women i work with told me a story about a family member that thought she'd be nice and kill the chicken and make supper. The mom asked where she got the corn from that was in the pot with the chicken. the girl said, well, i dunno it just came out when i was cooking it. Needless to say the girl forgot to take out the crop. LOL. that made me chuckle pretty good.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to be inflammatory. No matter the cause or ritual, I have a very hard time understanding it. I'm not living in a bubble here- I stated my belief, atheist, and this is why it is hard for me to understand the justification of a ritual sacrifice.

But still, legally, I can't imagine any place in the USA that would condone a dog sacrifice as legal. Maybe I;m confusing sacrifice with torture, I don't know, but I have a very bad seed in my head wondering how exactly the animals are dispatched.

Look at it this way- I come from the total opposite of animal sacrifice. I work in breast cancer research where we 'sacrifice' animals for a totally secular, scientific reason. A lot of people can;t understand that, and I don't expect them to.

I do understand the wish to be left alone and to continue work i see as important and lifesaving- I think this is where our common ground lies on this issue.

Me myself I think that killing an animal isn't cruel in itself. That is the natural order of things.

HOW you treat an animal is a different kettle of fish. Which is why it hurt me so much to watch Food Inc for example. Seeing how those animals were treated falls under cruel to me.

Though many vegetarians will disagree with that point. Many think that because we are humans we are not omnivorous animals that are subject to natural law... that we have a choice and because we have the brain to make that choice we are morally obligated to do so. I understand that view, and respect a vegetarians right to their view. In my personal experience most vegetarians are just as respectful of my view, even though they do not agree with it.

But, I also hate to see waste. So killing an animal just to let it rot... that's just not the natural order of things. Animals, including us, die and decay yes. But if you kill something it should be to protect yourself or to sustain yourself. Nothing wrong with a dog killing a rabbit and eating it because there isn't any other food. But a dog killing a bunch of chickens just for sport, that's waste.

One mentioned that she knew folks that sacrificed a chicken and then once the spirits had taken what they needed from it the family then ate the bird. Nothing, even spirit according to them, is wasted. That, to me, is no different than me killing a chicken, skipping the spirit bit, and cooking it up.

That's my two cents on that subject. Donno how it applies to the OP's stuff. You mentioned that they cook the bird after some rituals, and the word cook to me indicates that it's being prepared to be eaten... so that works for me even if I don't believe in it. But you didn't specify for sure so I won't comment one way or the other.

But, in the end, I'm not responsible for your actions... only my own. I have to live with my choices as does everyone else. So basically as long as you aren't hurting me and mine it's really not my primary concern.

Though it does help to understand the feelings, and motivations, of those around us even if we cannot totally empathize.

What happens to the body of the test animals after they are dispatched and examined? Incineration? (I think the university lab here cremates. I'm pretty sure of it.)

Some cultures just take that extra step and consume the meat.

Frankly, the USA has some serious hangups regarding the use of animals for food, namely specifying which can and can't be used. My biggie - horse. The rest of the WORLD consumes horse, but it's taboo in the US. Why? By vilifying and banning it, we've managed to cripple the horse industry - let alone the damage "released" horses do to various environments when the owners can't care for them. It's impacted zoos as well - most of the big cats prefer horse, and now they can't have it. It's healthier for them as well. All because SOME folks have moral hangups over a specific mammal. What makes a horse different than a cow?

What makes a cat different than a rabbit?

I know I personally think that it's a whole lot better to care for the critters that populate the world with us, dispatch them humanely, and consume them, than to just let them loose to starve, die and rot.

As for dispatching, most of the "sacrifice" things I hear of involve some sort quick death, not some sort of torture. The "sacrifice" animals I've ever heard about generally use decapitation, not something gory and inhumane like, say, disembowelment.

Back
Top Bottom