Silkie w/ possible stridor

Stridor can be with both inspiration and expiration. It happens with partial blockage of the airway, such as when mucus, a piece of food, a foreign body, or swollen tissue is present. Many people find this clears in an hour or two if the object is coughed up or cleared, but if it persists, it may be a respiratory infection. I would look inside the throat with a light for anything obvious. Look for other symptoms, such as nasal drainage, watery or bubbly eyes, sneezing, or coughing.

When she is relaxed I don’t see her beak open. I did give her some coconut oil and nutradrench. I don’t see any nasal drainage or any obstruction in her her mouth.
I could take her to the vet. I have had to go pick up the child from school. I can update and do more examining when I get home to answer questions.

The Silkie seems to be okay for now. She has been inside the house and has eaten some. The other day I went to TSC to buy pine flakes and they were out, so I bought the fine shavings instead. They could be what all this breathing is about?? Everyone else roosts except this Silkie and the grey one. All the chickens were piled up in the coop when I got home after lunchtime.

Let us know how she is doing in the morning. Any sneezing? How is your air circulation in the coop? Fine shavings can be more dusty, so could be a possible cause. But I have had to use those as well in times when the others were not available, and they worked fine. Any wet areas or signs of mold?

Back
Top Bottom