Silkie w/ possible stridor

Let us know how she is doing in the morning. Any sneezing? How is your air circulation in the coop? Fine shavings can be more dusty, so could be a possible cause. But I have had to use those as well in times when the others were not available, and they worked fine. Any wet areas or signs of mold?
No sneezing, very good ventilation, no wet areas or mold. I actually just changed out the shavings last week and needed to add more the other day. She climbed up to the roost tonight (I was going to put her up there anyway). I will update in the morning. Thank you for checking in.

Hope she improves or doesn't develop any worse.

I guess I thought a vet might be able to x ray it and see an obstruction or something deeper in the airway. I'm sure that would be out of my reach financially, especially when it may not give a sufficient answer. Meaning I don't know if all things will show up on radio graphs. And not sure about chickens, but with my dogs they always want to sedate first, which is very often a risk I'm not willing to take.

Thank you for sharing your concern and journey through this. It's how the learning spreads deep and wide which enables us to react more appropriately when we do face something.

She seemed to be fine this morning. I had to rush back in the house because it started raining. I will go out in a bit and spend more time with them. Thank you for checking on her.

My hen is making this noise. Did your Silkie turn out alright?

If you're looking for help you might consider starting your own thread with a video of the hen doing the noise. If the sound you're hearing is similar to the one in the original post, odds are she inhaled a seed or feed; in some cases, it can become a problem, but usually resolves itself after a few hours/day. There are other conditions such as aspergillus that can cause such a sound, but tracheal obstruction due to matter is more than often the case.

My hen is making this noise. Did your Silkie turn out alright?
Stridor can be a common sound that can be a result of having a small piece of feed stuck in the throat and airway. The majority of the time, this clears within a few hours or by the next day. If you see severe gasping, head shaking, sneeze, nasal drainage or watery eyes, then it could be a respiratory disease or infection.

Thanks Isaac and Eggcessive. I'm really hoping that's the case and it does seem promising.

The hen was fine until this afternoon (I went outside and found her an hour ago being attacked by another hen who apparently didn't like the noises). She has no other symptoms.

She is in my house right now and eating her normal feed with quite an appetite. She is bright-eyed and doesn't seem to be in too much distress. She does an occasional dry sneeze which I figure is a good sign - maybe will help dislodge something.

So I figure I'll just keep her in the house and keep an eye on her. Probably try to get her to a vet tomorrow if she hasn't improved.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks so much for asking! She is doing awesome. She was back to normal this morning. As soon as I put her back outside, she made sure to tell the whole flock how mad she was about being separated. Never seen her so vocal. Thanks again for your help.

Happy to hear the noise stopped!

Back
Top Bottom