Silkie X Leghorn Crosses

Quote:
Why doesn't it work the other way?

Because Id(Inhibitor Dermal) wich is a Sex link gene, Silkies are id+(recessive) and Leghorns are Id(dominant) FM(Fibromelanotic, the gene that makes silkies skin black is NOT sex lined but can only be expressed with the help of id+ )

id+ being recessive will not be expressed in Boys that will have Id from her mother, even if they carry Fm they will look normal(not black skin) BUT since Girls will be id+ Only(no Id gen in them) they will fully express Fibromelanosis

Boys will be Id/id+(Id from Leghorn Female, id+ from silkie hen) Fm/fm+ (dominant Fibromelanotic from Silkie roo) they will not be black skinned
Girls will be id+/-(they can only have one copy of that gene because its sex lined and hens are ZW, but boys are ZZ, Id, or id+ is in cromosome Z) and Fm/fm+ they will have Dark skin from hatch...

big_smile.png

Quote:
It's a matter of how much space/breeding pens do you have to keep various combinations separate. Also consider what type of comb you want, I presume Silkie. Usually your best colored bird will have a Leghorn comb.
he.gif

Hi there

I had a black silkie roo and he produced chicks with our lovely white leghorns.

They are white with little black spots on, quite cute :0)

They have extra toes and fluffy legs like daddy but are feathering up like their leghorn mummies.

So far they are really friendly and eat from our hands, I am hoping that they turn out to be prolific layers with gentle docile natures with the the good looks of Marmite, their dad!

Here come some pictures of one of them

T

They are only a few days old here.

Last edited:
Hi there

I had a black silkie roo and he produced chicks with our lovely white leghorns.

They are white with little black spots on, quite cute :0)

Here come some pictures of one of them

T

They are only a few days old here.

you just produced Sexlinks and the chick on the pics is a Male(rooster) hens will have dark skin with Dark/black shanks(leg color).. the black spots on their white body is spected of Heterozygous white(I/i+)

take pics of all the chicks so I can tell you which one are males or females

Wow, excellent, thank you!

I have one black legged/faced hen then and one pink legged/faced rooster! That sounds fab :0)

This is facinating stuff. I didn't know I'd produce sex links.

I also have 6 silkie x gold tops, they seem harder to sex as they all look like silkies to me and they all have the same colour skin.

I will post pictures of them in a short while, I have to get the kids from school in a second or two.

I think I have 3 black silkie looking roosters and 1 black silkie looking hen alongside the 1 white leghorn x silkie rooster and hen.

But I don't think the goldie x silkies can be sexlinks because I can't definitely tell them apart myself yet!

This one looks to me like a hen but the others I think may be roos, please let me know what you think.

Hen 1?
Hen 2?
Just don't know! Roo maybe?
Roo too maybe? It's difficult to know because the gold top hens have that funny knobby thing on their head too and look very much like roos!
This one wouldn't sit still, maybe it's female (just kidding but it's similar to the previous one)
These are the two silkie x white leggies, you can see the black face of the one behind.

This is the chick from my Partridge silkie roo and white leghorn hen. (S)he is 5 weeks old, this ones name is Glory. Hubby calls the chicks ugly, but I disagree, just at the gangly, awkward teen stage! Lol! If anyone can give me input as far as sex, I'd really appreciate the help!

The one below is American Game Hen(?) Partridge silkie roo cross. Again, no idea of sex! This is Hunny, and I think (s)he is a little frizzle-like! This one is already getting wattles as well as the large comb and very thick legs. I'm thinking roo but not sure because of cross breed.

Has anyone had any success on breeding silkie leghorn crosses as sex linked?
I have a few crosses and I've gotten my girls to be white with black spots and the males are white with a touch of a golden roasted marshmallow color. I did the sex linked dark skin on my females, but my favorite roo has pale blue legs. When I bred my crosses they still had the sex linked quality. Is that because they were each 50/50? I will post pictures later on today. But I'd love to hear more about your chickies and any more knowledge you have to share is always greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom