Using bread when deworming?

Pics

Ch8ckenhelp

Songster
Nov 17, 2017
I've heard from some people that you can put dewormer in a peice of bread instead of injecting it into their mouths. Will this work or will it lower the effectiveness of the dewormer? I'm using safeguard plus btw, haven't bought it yet so I'm still unsure about how to use it.

I think it sounds a LOT easier than prying mouths open... IF you can make sure each bird gets their proper amount... I don't see any reason why it would lower effectiveness UNLESS the med specifically stated to give on an empty stomach.

I would think a small piece of bread or anything else you can get the dose to stick to and the birds to happily consume should be fine.

Did you see worms or get a fecal float done? Or treating just because?

:fl

I suspected worms for a little while so I used a pellet dewormer I found at TS. I noticed a small difference in the chickens, but at the same time I'm dealing with poultry lice in about half of my flock AND three hens who have bumblefoot. I partially blame myself for not inspecting them close enough... just last night I went to spray everyone with a solution for the lice, when I noticed a long, white string hanging from my 4 month old chick! I knew it was worms after I noticed the eggs in the chicken poop. I've identified them as tapeworms, so although I would prefer a natural method, I know I need medication for tapeworms. So, I'm treating all 20 chickens just in case.

I am not a shopper at TSC stores but I can tell you that every other feed store in my area carries this horse paste.

I would use Praziquantel for tapes.
You can try Safeguard but instead on dosing one day I would dose 3 days in a row.

I am not a shopper at TSC stores but I can tell you that every other feed store in my area carries this horse paste.

I would use Praziquantel for tapes.
You can try Safeguard but instead on dosing one day I would dose 3 days in a row.
There's another store similar to tractor supply in my area, so I could look there. If i can't find it, I'll try the safeguard and do that for 3 days, like you said. If that doesn't work, I'll see if i can order equimax somewhere online.

I noticed a long, white string hanging
tape worms are short and segmented like rice... are you sure you didn't see roundworms? They would be long and white and are the only other type of worm that can be seen in droppings.

Ivermectin is in the cattle section and not labeled for use in chickens. It is effective against lice and round worms. If you have a a tractor supply you might also have other feed stores in your area that will carry it. I haven't used it yet... because I'm leery of ANY poison... but I am getting ready to use it because I need to. I got the pour on kind, not the inject-able type.... didn't know it came as a paste! Thanks kiki

Back
Top Bottom