Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

I sadly no longer live in the small village I lived in on the edge of town where I grew up around chickens; but there is a single hen who roosts in a tree next to a cemetery.
I enjoy going over there and feeding her, watering her, and talking to her; she kinda seems like a loner, she seems like a stray. Only chicken there, poor lonely girl...

I'd happily adopt her, but we would not be allowed to build the coop for her and everything. We live on a busy road (literally "North Main Street") in a small city; and we live next door to a lady who is a landlord of all of the property next door (including a 2-story single occupancy apartment with a garage, that had a house number with ½ after it).
Awe, that's sad you can't take her home with you, but it's awesome you're sort of taking care of her. Maybe someday you'll be where you can have her or others. ❤️

Hi there! Thank you for the email. Like many of the others, I have been really busy. In addition to chickens, I also have Jersey cattle and work a full time job 😰! We just got through calving season. Unfortunately, one of my sweet chickens passed away from water belly day before yesterday 🙁. But all of the others are doing great! I raise bantams, mostly Dutch. I want to say thank you to you Nifty-Chicken and to all the community members for the experiences, advice, information, empathy, and compassion everyone has shared through the years. It is a blessing to be part of such “vibrant community!” Wishing everyone and their flocks the best!
Awe, that was one of the best replies I've read and I've read dozens. Thank you for the update. It sounds like you keep very busy there! Sorry about the hen though. :hugs

I'm really hoping they will hatch out.
I wasn't going to incubate then but my son wants some goslings to take care of so I picked 13 eggs I stole from them while it was still freezing out at night. I think only 3 out of 13 made it to lockdown ( I also added another half dozen a week after 😂😂) I had two geese with nest going on then so I stole some and hoping they will be sitting on newer eggs while I gave the older ones a try

How long will you wait before intervene ? Like adding a safety hole ? I don't want them to die since they made it this far

Cant wait for the babies I love goslings they are just sooo cute
Safety holes are a last ditch effort with a hatch. From what I have seen, Many do this way to early. With chicken eggs, that would be a day or two after the last one hatched to check the eggs that are left.

I like to let them hatch on their own as much as possible. Assisting in the hatch, more times than not, leads to an unhealthy chick that you have to cull.

I would expect you to see pips soon in the eggs. Then they can take a long break. You should look it up, but from what I remember, it can be a day or two (even more) after the pip.

I haven't been active on BYC since the fall, just distracted elsewhere with life: Getting settled in after the move to a new farm and all the upgrades and adjustments (inside and out!) that requires, new grandbaby for whom I get the blessing of babysitting 4 days a week, winter care and feeding of the usual livestock and a new batch of feeder pigs, sudden and extreme family drama, and increasing and troublesome health and pain issues.

Currently, I'm in the midst of completing a hoop coop for growing out chicks, hatching chicks, kitchen remodeling, new huge chicken run and camper-coop under construction, and rounds of doctor appointments - around the babysitting schedule. So very, very busy still, but I'm finding some time to check in once in a while.

I still have my heritage flock of about 42 chickens, including 3 very well-behaved roosters (lucky me!) --- my tiny American Bresse flock trying to get started, including one mean d!ckh*d rooster, three hens, (7) one-week-old chicks, and 12 more Bresse eggs in the incubator --- and (8) ten-week-old Easter Eggers and (2) unidentified rescue chicks still in the 'Nursery Coop'.

Whew. Each day is a challenge! And a blessing.

Moved and lost some hen since the last time I was on this site. The last place I lived had huge rats in the neighborhood. I was not the only one to loose hens to the rats. But I'm out of that city. (Seattle) Now I have the remaining 9 hens and about two months ago got 2 dozen more hatchling. Going to extend my chicken coop. It is about 250 feet big. Going to add about 200 more feet to it. There are alot of predator in this area so we are also reinforcing the bottom. Anyway all is good so far.
Yikes, that sounds horrible where you lived!

1/2" hardware cloth would keep them and most everything out. Good luck in your new place and new chicks!!

Back
Top Bottom