Chick laying on sides and incessantly scratching at bedding...

JennieBean5

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
One of our chicks is laying down, sort of rolling from side to side and scratching incessantly at the bedding. She will get up and walk around but seems tired, although that's not too uncommon this time of night for the chicks. One of the other chicks walked right over her to get to the water and another walked up and pecked her once and walked away. I haven't seen any of them do either of these things before.

Her behavior seems a little weird to me, but this is our first time raising chicks and we've only had them for a few weeks. Is there something wrong or is this behavior normal? If not, should we separate this chick from the others tonight?

Thanks for your help!

It is normal; she is dustbathing
smile.png

She could be having a little seisure. If that is the case, there's really nothing you can do.....you could just keep an eye on her, and be sure not to breed her. Or cull her....(I personally am not into culling....but if she is suffering, it's a good thing to do.)

That sounds like dust bathing!
big_smile.png
Chickens do that to get dirt and parasites out of their feathers. Not that your little one has them - she's just practicing!

And a little bit of pecking here and there establishes the pecking order. Not something to worry about unless there's a substantial amount of blood.

Sit back, watch, and be entertained!

Thanks for the replies! I'm so relieved to hear it's probably fine! She actually just stopped and is acting normal now.
smile.png

oh i love it when they do that! they're so cute! my lil' gal "dustbathed" in my hand today! it was so cute! i loved it cuz i felt that she must feel pretty happy with me if she feels comfortable enough to do that. (she's a 5 day old EE)

Back
Top Bottom