Chickens won’t go into the run.

woodshouseof4

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
So I am very new to the chicken thing and need some advice. My 8, 6 week old chickens will barely go into their run during the day. It’s been 70-80° the last few days and they just seem to hangout inside the coop.

The flooring of the run was already in place when we bought this house and I haven’t changed it yet but leaning towards changing it. It’s currently large sized gravel and I’m afraid that this is hurting them which is why they don’t seem to go out often. It’s not completely covered in the gravel but I’d say about 75-80% is.

My question to you is could this be why they aren’t wanting to go in their run or could it be something else?

What is your favorite material to put in the bottom of your run?

Thank you so so much.

Attachments

• 1596D5AD-748D-47B6-88D7-E566396C1DCD.jpeg
    1596D5AD-748D-47B6-88D7-E566396C1DCD.jpeg
    955.7 KB · Views: 10
  • C62FB31D-55DD-4BDD-BAC1-B745596C2DE4.jpeg
    C62FB31D-55DD-4BDD-BAC1-B745596C2DE4.jpeg
    887.6 KB · Views: 10
I'm not sure if the gravel is an issue, more likely the coop is just a safe place and they'll grow out of it. I put my run in a spot that was previously RV parking with that same large sized shock gravel. I raked a decent amount of it around the run sides to help discourage digging predators but it's a huge run and it was a huge amount of gravel so I left quite a bit and then put a think layer of bark chips on top. Every year I add a layer of playchips now. My run also has a very sandy area with no gravel which is perfect for dust baths. I really like the woodchips for drainage and looks as well as it's easy on chicken feet, no bumble foot. Looks like a great space, good luck!!

So I am very new to the chicken thing and need some advice. My 8, 6 week old chickens will barely go into their run during the day. It’s been 70-80° the last few days and they just seem to hangout inside the coop.

The flooring of the run was already in place when we bought this house and I haven’t changed it yet but leaning towards changing it. It’s currently large sized gravel and I’m afraid that this is hurting them which is why they don’t seem to go out often. It’s not completely covered in the gravel but I’d say about 75-80% is.

My question to you is could this be why they aren’t wanting to go in their run or could it be something else?

What is your favorite material to put in the bottom of your run?
Do they know "how" to get into the run from the coop? Is there a pop door they have to go thru, if so, have they been trained to use it?

Is there shade for the run? 70/80 degrees, with no shade could be making the Gravel/rock hot.

How long have they had access to the run? What I typically see is that when you open the pop door and give them access to outside some broods are all out within 15 minutes but some may take well into the third day before the first one goes out. It may take some broods a while. Have you not given them enough time?

Is there any food or water out there?

Has anything scared them out there? Hawks, dogs, any predator. Or perceived predator like a horse or cow. At that age they might be frightened by anything.

Have you run a lawn mower or 4-wheeler near them. Those can be loud and scary.

I don't think it is the gravel. Give them a bit of time.

Back
Top Bottom