otrippiehippieo

Hatching
Apr 30, 2024
Concerned for my rescued hen.

Hey y’all, this here is roadrunner our first rescued hen. we’ve had her about a month and 2ish weeks now, my partner and his coworkers ended up spotting her in a very busy part of our town when heading home for the day. we assume she’s a young hen as she’s smaller than a lot of our adult hens and is the size of one of our young hens that recently just started laying. we didn’t see too many signs or symptoms that alerted us she was sick but then again this is a random hen we have no information on so for the safety of the rest of our flock we chose to quarantine her away from the rest to make sure she’s healthy and strong enough before introducing. in the beginning we gave her electrolytes and sprayed vetericyn on her as she didn’t have her tail feathers, kept a close eye on her, somewhere between the 20-25th of march was when she laid her first egg for us and since then she’s continued to produce almost everyday, may miss a day but will produce the very next. we suspected she might have mites or lice due to her itching herself and seeing small bugs come from under her wing area, her comb and wattles being pale as well her vent was dirty. we’ve tried D.E. as well garden and poultry dust.

the few things that have me concerned is her personality first of all, within this last week it’s almost as if she’s gone broody. she’s moody, sitting on her nest a whole lot more than in the beginning. she doesn’t seem interested in food or water unless i’ve pulled her off the nest which has been once or twice as it was later in the day and she had already laid. we do have a rooster but as mentioned we’ve been caution about introducing so i’m honestly not sure if just hearing him would send her into a broody state. after trying the garden and poultry dust the first week it seem to have made a change, she didn’t seem as itchy, her vent looked way more cleaned up, as of yesterday though her wattles, comb and face look more pale in my opinion as well i noticed this green goop stuck to her vent.

any ideas what’s going on or what we should try? we don’t wanna keep this lil lady in quarantine any longer but i also worry about her health just as much as the rest of my flock. ty in advance.
0E46CFBC-1BD1-4D81-830A-1DE0AE821724.jpeg
304E026D-578D-4DB2-B6D0-3F69E8ED118A.jpeg
FFC024BE-A5EA-4E6D-97F8-7539EE6DFEAF.jpeg
6CE7159E-57EC-466F-A947-36BF9659A556.jpeg

It does sound like she could be broody, and she looks pretty good. Comb color could be from a few things, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.
If she doesn't seem sick or lethargic she's probably broody.
Just from the pictures she seems fine.

Does she screech at you when you mess with her in the nesting box or will she fluff up?

Back
Top Bottom