Pics
Silkies are some of the most friendliest chickens there are. You really should keep a couple!

I have a couple hatching from those I set before I left for Cancun. They were due tomorrow. I'll post those in a couple of days when all hatched and fluffy. I think they'll all be spoken for as I have a list of folks waiting for chicks. I may keep a chocolate or two as I lost one of my two chocolate hens while I was gone. No idea what happened to her, just dead in the breeder coop.
I'm sorry for your loss, Debbie.

I'm sorry for your loss, Debbie.
Thanks Janie. It sure was a mystery.

Hubby called me while I was gone and had already stuck her in the freezer the day before, so we could do an "autopsy" of a rudimentary sort; neither of us know what we're looking for. I assume the basics of seeing if she was egg-bound, but after that, I'll search BYC for necropsy pictures. I just am no mood to do it. Maybe next week.

There was young one he found in that same breeding pen that's not understood either, like how it got in there and why? They have their own coop they go back to every night and it surely wasn't lost.

Too many weird things the one week I'm gone, yet we've gone many years with nothing like this. Hubby takes as good of care as I do, so not sure why this happened, but hopefully that's the end of it!

More fancy eggs!?! Lol, I can't wait for the reveal!!!!!
Well, for the first time, I have a Brinsea 56EX completely loaded with 64 eggs. I couldn't squeeze another in there if I tried, and I did. I had to take my Govee out and replace it with a miniature one.

They are:

7 white silkies.
11 mixed color fancy silkies - both of these are shipped from two different eBay sellers.

The rest are mine in two batches due 5/9, and 5/28.

I got the white ones because for one thing, I have no fancier white chickens, and also, it appears the only paint I own, a NN, I'll keep as it's surely a female, but would hope for a white rooster that might work to make more paints. I've been asked about white ones so figured I should get a fancier white hen and/or rooster anyway.

The mix is just various colored silkies. She has illegible notations on the eggs and sent no cheat sheet so it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. 😊

Debbie, welcome back and I can’t wait to see your new batches of eggs and find out what colors you’ll be expecting this time!!
Thank you!

On order, shipping soon, are 2-dozen (buff, crele, lemon cuckoo, and porcelain) from Bobbi Porto. Thank you for the lead on her. Good gosh once she got my phone number, I got about 30 texts and learned her life story. Nice lady with gorgeous silkies! I had no real desire to deal with trying porcelains but since I wanted to order from her, I asked her to throw a few in.

I will have some eggs moving out of that Brinsea in a day or two due on 5/9 into the other one for lockdown so will have room when they get here.

Well, for the first time, I have a Brinsea 56EX completely loaded with 64 eggs. I couldn't squeeze another in there if I tried, and I did. I had to take my Govee out and replace it with a miniature one.

They are:

7 white silkies.
11 mixed color fancy silkies - both of these are shipped from two different eBay sellers.

I got the white ones because for one thing, I have no fancier white chickens, and also, it appears the only paint I own, a NN, I'll keep as it's surely a female, but would hope for a white rooster that might work to make more paints. I've been asked about white ones so figured I should get a fancier white hen and/or rooster anyway.

The mix is just various colored silkies. She has illegible notations on the eggs and sent no cheat sheet so it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. 😊

Thank you!

On order, shipping soon, are 2-dozen (buff, crele, lemon cuckoo, and porcelain) from Bobbi Porto. Thank you for the lead on her. Good gosh once she got my phone number, I got about 30 texts and learned her life story. Nice lady with gorgeous silkies! I had no real desire to deal with trying porcelains but since I wanted to order from her, I asked her to throw a few in.

I will have some eggs moving out of that Brinsea in a day or two due on 5/9 into the other one for lockdown so will have room when they get here.
Ooh, surprise colors, this will be fun, and porcelains are gorgeous too!

Lol, so it is officially a Brinsea 64EX 🤣 and now we know!

Whoohoo, NN staying at Debbie's 292d Ranch! That's great you are getting more whites for her 😁

They are:

7 white silkies.

Thank you!

Sounds like a wonderful mix. I have a paint (satin) so I read about them. What I read was that you breed black to paint. If you breed dominate white, you'll just get white. I don't know how accurate this info is but you may need a black rooster, so buy more eggs!😁

They are:

7 white silkies.

Thank you!

I'm dying to see the porcelains. Ive heard they are hard to breed because every few generations, you have to breed to black to get good feather quality.. and I'm guessing getting the creamy buff color back is harder than getting the lavender back.

Sounds like a wonderful mix. I have a paint (satin) so I read about them. What I read was that you breed black to paint. If you breed dominate white, you'll just get white. I don't know how accurate this info is but you may need a black rooster, so buy more eggs!😁
The white idea with paint is complicated. It's either...

I get lucky and I'd get a rare dominant white roo, I could get 50% paints, or that one bred to black would be 100% paints. I'm not holding my breath on that. More logically, it'd be 2nd generation ones to do it.

I have a blue rooster I can breed her to and get 25% paint, 25% blue paint, 25% black, and 25% blue. The blue paint will be same as a paint but the blue specks would be black, so technically 50% paint, 25% black, 25% blue.

The only way to do it to get 100% paint is dominant white to black. I could get 50% paint to paint, but I only have the one.

So, I'm going to get dominant white offspring when the white rooster breeds with the paint, I THINK! This would be all next summer's breed pen. I'd put the blue rooster in there with the whites and paint and black hens and let's see what we wind up with lol.

The white idea with paint is complicated. It's either...

I get lucky and I'd get a rare dominant white roo, I could get 50% paints, or that one bred to black would be 100% paints. I'm not holding my breath on that. More logically, it'd be 2nd generation ones to do it.

I have a blue rooster I can breed her to and get 25% paint, 25% blue paint, 25% black, and 25% blue. The blue paint will be same as a paint but the blue specks would be black, so technically 50% paint, 25% black, 25% blue.

The only way to do it to get 100% paint is dominant white to black. I could get 50% paint to paint, but I only have the one.

So, I'm going to get dominant white offspring when the white rooster breeds with the paint, I THINK! This would be all next summer's breed pen. I'd put the blue rooster in there with the whites and paint and black hens and let's see what we wind up with lol.
I can't wait to see all those combos!

I'm dying to see the porcelains. Ive heard they are hard to breed because every few generations, you have to breed to black to get good feather quality.. and I'm guessing getting the creamy buff color back is harder than getting the lavender back.
I read that too, thus why I really wasn't into getting any of them, but since I was buying hers mostly for the buffs and lemon cuckoos, I just opted to get a few of them from her. The buffs didn't sound as difficult if I just keep buffs to themselves. I do have one frizzle buff that's 3.5 mos old and appears to be a pullet. We may need another breeding pen or two. :D

Back
Top Bottom