Feed storage (50-100 lbs)

sfchixn

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Central Coast, California
Hi all,

What do you recommend for inexpensive, vermin-proof feed storage. I'd like to keep the 50- or 100-lbs of feed dry and vermin-free until finish!

Feed will be kept outside near the coop in a shaded location. I have considered those 55-gallon screw top pickle barrels but is there a less expensive option?

We keep ours in large galvanized metal trash cans in the garage. It works well as long as the kids remember to close the lids.
roll.png

We keep ours in 55 gallon foodgrade barrels. We have some people over yonder that sell the barrels for $10, with lids. If you don't have so convient a source, check with anyone you know who works in any sort of food factory (cookies, dressing, anything) or the factories themselves.... An add in a free classified paper (or craigslist, freecycle) looking for plastic barrels could work as well...

I have a large 30 gallon storage container that I use to keep all my chicken stuff. Grit, sunflower seeds, pine shavings, etc. I have another slightly smaller storage container that holds their 50lb pound bag of food. Haven't had a problem yet!

Galvanized trash cans with tight fitting lids. Put them on blocks or boards so they are not in direct contact with the ground. It would be best if you could protect them from being directly rained on. Outside is OK. Rained on is asking for trouble.

We use a galvanized trash can with lid. I don't know what size it is but it just holds the 50lb. of feed. We have kept it outside, right next to the coop which is very convenient. It has been rained on but is somewhat shelter by sitting under a tree and having the coop and fence close by. I do have it raised on bricks so that it is not touching the gound. It's been out there almost a year and so far do not have any rust or damage to it.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom