Genetics Help - D^V, Id, Sex link, etc

Demonwolf37

Songster
7 Years
May 21, 2016
Wisconsin
I have a couple specific questions about these genes, and need someone to explain them to me in layman's terms. Genetics is a fun hobby for me, but I have trouble reading and understanding some of the concepts.

First question is about Vee combed chickens, which I believe is related to the D^V gene.

The four comb types controlled by RR PP (rose, pea, walnut, and single) make sense to me.

But I know absolutely nothing about D gene except that D^V is related to Vee combs, and D^V plus rr pp will result in Buttercup combs.

So my two questions there are,
1) What do other combinations of D^V plus R- pp, rr P-, R- P- do?
2) What are the other genes in the D position? The ^ generally indicates that there are more than two options if I'm not totally off base here, so what do THOSE do?

And then my second round of questions.

Sex-linked genes confuse the heck out of me.

So I understand that they're on the Z chromosome, which hens only have one, and roosters have two. But it all gets kinda muddy after that - snippets of information that only half make sense to me and never really stuck.

I'm particularly interested in the Id gene and as it relates to leg color.

3) Really I just need a layman's terms explanation of how sex linking works because I'm very lost every time I try to understand it
4) If I had a group of chickens that only had WW, white or slate legs, could you then breed that group of chickens to have sex-linked leg color?

Thanks in advance for anyone who attempts to educate me, I really appreciate it and I hope I'll be able to understand at least a little.

I don’t know about the first one

I will use the barred gene to explain sex linked. The barred gene is incomplete dominant. Lets say the symbol for it is B and normal is b (I don’t know what it actually is) males have two z chromosomes which means they can be BB, Bb or bb, females only have one z chromosome which means they can only be B or b. So if you breed a male none barred it bb to a barred females B the female only pass it on to the males which ends up with Bb males and b females.
You would have to do the opposite with recessive sex linked genes to get sex linked chicks

I hope that helps

I don’t know about the first one

I will use the barred gene to explain sex linked. The barred gene is incomplete dominant. Lets say the symbol for it is B and normal is b (I don’t know what it actually is) males have two z chromosomes which means they can be BB, Bb or bb, females only have one z chromosome which means they can only be B or b. So if you breed a male none barred it bb to a barred females B the female only pass it on to the males which ends up with Bb males and b females.
You would have to do the opposite with recessive sex linked genes to get sex linked chicks

I hope that helps
b b
B Bb Bb
∅ b b

So the sex- linking would only work for one generation then, since now you have Bb cockerels, and b hens? Which would result in:

B b
b Bb bb
∅ B b

50% of each regardless of gender?

b b
B Bb Bb
∅ b b

So the sex- linking would only work for one generation then, since now you have Bb cockerels, and b hens? Which would result in:

B b
b Bb bb
∅ B b

50% of each regardless of gender?
Yes sex links only work for one generation, auto-sexing work for all generations as long as they are bred for it

I have a couple specific questions about these genes, and need someone to explain them to me in layman's terms. Genetics is a fun hobby for me, but I have trouble reading and understanding some of the concepts.

First question is about Vee combed chickens, which I believe is related to the D^V gene.

The four comb types controlled by RR PP (rose, pea, walnut, and single) make sense to me.

But I know absolutely nothing about D gene except that D^V is related to Vee combs, and D^V plus rr pp will result in Buttercup combs.

2) What are the other genes in the D position? The ^ generally indicates that there are more than two options if I'm not totally off base here, so what do THOSE do?

So I understand that they're on the Z chromosome, which hens only have one, and roosters have two. But it all gets kinda muddy after that - snippets of information that only half make sense to me and never really stuck.

3) Really I just need a layman's terms explanation of how sex linking works because I'm very lost every time I try to understand it
4) If I had a group of chickens that only had WW, white or slate legs, could you then breed that group of chickens to have sex-linked leg color?

Thanks in advance for anyone who attempts to educate me, I really appreciate it and I hope I'll be able to understand at least a little.
What I know about the D/v comb gene is it's called Devil's Horn Comb, or Duplex Comb. This gene is what gives some breeds the Devil's Horns, like Polish, & La Fleche. This gene gives Buttercups their comb type, by dividing their combs into two halves.

No Duplex: d+/d+

Split for Duplex: D^v/d+

Duplex: D^v/D^v

This gene is dominant with one, or two copies.

Okay, but now I have to ask, what's auto-sexing, and how does THAT work? 😂
I think there are a few different auto-sexing colours I don’t know too much about them. They can be sexed at hatch be down colour like sex-linked chicks. Barred chickens can be auto-sexing if both parents are barred, the barred gene is incomplete dominant which means if a chicken has two BB they have wider barring then if the had one B. This causes the head spots on the chicks to be bigger if they are BB. But if they are not bred to be auto-sexing then it might not be a reliable way to sex them

Added Duplex to rose. It just splits that comb type in half.
Screenshot_20210608-081259_Chrome.jpg

I think there are a few different auto-sexing colours I don’t know too much about them. They can be sexed at hatch be down colour like sex-linked chicks. Barred chickens can be auto-sexing if both parents are barred, the barred gene is incomplete dominant which means if a chicken has two BB they have wider barring then if the had one B. This causes the head spots on the chicks to be bigger if they are BB. But if they are not bred to be auto-sexing then it might not be a reliable way to sex them
Sex linked cockerels only have 1 copy of the Barring gene. Never will have two, unless that cockerel is bred to a Barred hen, you can get both single Barred, & Double Barred Offspring. Females produced will only have 1 copy of the gene.

Sex linked cockerels only have 1 copy of the Barring gene. Never will have two, unless that cockerel is bred to a Barred hen, you can get both single Barred, & Double Barred Offspring. Females produced will only have 1 copy of the gene.
? In the post you quoted I was talking about auto sexing, not about the sex linked stuff

Back
Top Bottom