Genetics Help - D^V, Id, Sex link, etc

I think there are a few different auto-sexing colours I don’t know too much about them. They can be sexed at hatch be down colour like sex-linked chicks. Barred chickens can be auto-sexing if both parents are barred, the barred gene is incomplete dominant which means if a chicken has two BB they have wider barring then if the had one B. This causes the head spots on the chicks to be bigger if they are BB. But if they are not bred to be auto-sexing then it might not be a reliable way to sex them
Okay that's really interesting. Since the roos have two copies instead of just the one, it should be easier to pick them out from the hens.

I wonder if there are other auto-sexing genes like that, because that's really cool

My understanding of the terms Auto-Sexing and Sex-Linked are as follows:

Auto-Sexing = When the sex of a day old chick (or 2-3 days old) can be determined by looking at the down color and patterns. For some traits - Male chicks and Female chicks have different down colors and patterns. I think the term is Sexually Dimorphic?

Sex-Linked = Refers to a particular genetic inheritance rule. A male bird has a chromosome pair X / X and a female bird has chromosome pair X / Y. A sex-linked trait will only be present on the X chromosome.

Some people use Sex-Linked traits as a tool for reliable sexing. If they breed a combination of hen and rooster which is known (using the sex-link rule above) to result in different colored hens and cockerels - this can also be reliably used to determine sex at a young age.

Here's a copy of a post I put on another thread - which talks about shank colour. It may help to answer your question about the leg colours :)

I'm working with Black/Blue/Splash NZ Araucana and am taking my time to compile real life examples to match the theoretical info. Information I've gathered includes the following: (Please let me know if there are any errors in these! It's possible!)

*Edited 19.05.21 to provide updates & corrections from other members*

There are two "layers" that influence shank colour
Dermis is the underlying skin structure & tissue
Epidermis is the skin that covers over the Dermis

The Dermis Layer has the following colour options
Shank Colours Genetics - Dermis.jpg

The EpiDermis Layer has the following colour options
Shank Colours Genetics - EpiDermis.jpg

The combined Dermis and EpiDermis colour options
Shank Colours Genetics.jpg

Factors That Enhance Black Dermis Colour
E/E (Extended Black)
ER/ER (Birchen) (Enhances to a lesser degree than E/E)

Factors That Dilute Black Dermis Colour
Bl/bl (Blue)
Bl/Bl (Splash)
c/c (Recessive White)
mo/mo (Mottling)
I/I (Dominant White)
Di/Di (Gold Dilute)
B/B (Barring)

Examples of Enhanced & Diluted - "Borrowed" from https://fionnaschooks.webs.com/araucanagenetics.htm

Shank Colours Genetics Examples.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding of the terms Auto-Sexing and Sex-Linked are as follows:

Auto-Sexing = When the sex of a day old chick (or 2-3 days old) can be determined by looking at the down color and patterns. For some traits - Male chicks and Female chicks have different down colors and patterns. I think the term is Sexually Dimorphic?

Sex-Linked = Refers to a particular genetic inheritance rule. A male bird has a chromosome pair X / X and a female bird has chromosome pair X / Y. A sex-linked trait will only be present on the X chromosome.

Some people use Sex-Linked traits as a tool for reliable sexing. If they breed a combination of hen and rooster which is known (using the sex-link rule above) to result in different colored hens and cockerels - this can also be reliably used to determine sex at a young age.,
It's Z, & W for birds.

Back
Top Bottom