Help First Time Hatcher!!

Looks like you might have a tuxedo chick! The color shouldn't have contributed to its hatching difficulties.

...this is making me realize most of my "pharoah" guesses on my current hatch are probably roux or rosetta. Only one chick so far is yellow and black, most of mine are brown/black.

It might be worth incubating at a slightly higher temp next time. Some people say it makes for more vigorous chicks - personally I've had more luck setting my incubator at 100.5 (but I've also have changes in roos, seasonal changes, etc, so who knows?) If nothing else, they hatch faster. Mine are on day 16 and most are pipped.
Thanks I have another set of eggs waiting to incubate starting tomorrow! I’ll try the higher temp. I didn’t think the color contributed to the hatching problems but it is interesting that the only one differently colored is also the only one that took forever to hatch but seems healthy! I am guessing the other chicks are all pharaoh but I’m really not sure and when I looked at tuxedo chicks they looked so much darker I thought the little gold one couldn’t possibly be one it will be so interesting to find out

I would lower the Rh% to 50 -55% during "lockdown". I would also incubate them at 30 to 35% Rh.
High humidity ( 60% or higher) during the hatching phase will cause several issues, 'stuck chick's', crooked toes due to the length of time it takes them to hatch, and wry neck to name but a few!

I would lower the Rh% to 50 -55% during "lockdown". I would also incubate them at 30 to 35% Rh.
High humidity ( 60% or higher) during the hatching phase will cause several issues, 'stuck chick's', crooked toes due to the length of time it takes them to hatch, and wry neck to name but a few!
Thanks so much for your reply! We ended up hatching 19 healthy babies, two that died for unknown reasons and 7 with wry neck that was bad enough they ended up dying from being unable to get themselves off their backs. I’m definitely going to try your humidity levels for this next batch

Back
Top Bottom