HELP!! with silkie Chicken hatching

onco

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2024
I put my silkies in April 7th late afternoon. I had one hatch but seemed really weak about 2 days ago, stopped breathing about a day ago. the next one a day later which is moving and seems fine, and one last night. The other eggs have pips but seem to have dried out. should i take out the two chicks that have hatched? Also, not sure what to do about the first one he hasn’t move and I think it has passed. Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I put my silkies in April 7th late afternoon. I had one hatch but seemed really weak about 2 days ago, stopped breathing about a day ago. the next one a day later which is moving and seems fine, and one last night. The other eggs have pips but seem to have dried out. should i take out the two chicks that have hatched? Also, not sure what to do about the first one he hasn’t move and I think it has passed. Any advice?
They can live for up to 72 hours without food because they continue absorbing the yolk. I'd leave them all alone.

Your temp should be 99.5 and humidity around 65-70%.

Chicks that pip don't dry out. This is why it's called lockdown and we don't open the incubator. They should hatch within 24 hours of pipping. I see a couple with a huge pip, and another that has zipped. They are alive if they did that and shouldn't all be dead now.

They can live for up to 72 hours without food because they continue absorbing the yolk. I'd leave them all alone.

Your temp should be 99.5 and humidity around 65-70%.

Chicks that pip don't dry out. This is why it's called lockdown and we don't open the incubator. They should hatch within 24 hours of pipping. I see a couple with a huge pip, and another that has zipped. They are alive if they did that and shouldn't all be dead now.
Okay thank you so much! I’m concerned because i have seen their beak move yesterday but nothing today

If you haven't seen them move they are probably dead. Within about a day of hatching they should be up and moving around. I would consider quickly opening up your incubator and taking all chicks and shells out or even just the one you think is dead out. However that looks small and might drop the humidity too much. I have a huge incubator so I can just spray water in and open it up to remove chicks when needed. If he is dead you didn't do anything wrong. There really isn't much you can do right after they hatch as they are still absorbing the yolk so they don't need food or water.

Back
Top Bottom