Hens eating eggs, is mustard good enough?

TheDisease21002

Chirping
Jan 17, 2019
UAE, Al Ain
My hens have begun eating their eggs, it all started with one and they have all begun doing it. Its been about 3 days give or take since they started. I poured out the contents of eggs I have and fill it with mustard. I put these fake eggs in the chicken pen and they did peck it. Some of them stopped pecking them but some kept pecking for a small period of time. My question is, is this the correct reaction to mustard or should my chickens have instantly leapt away at the mere taste of it?

Edit: for anyone curious, I am going to put up measures to prevent this from happening again, I just want to know if my mustard egg method is working.

I use fake eggs. Mustard is messy and don’t know how filling up a egg would work.
Pick up your eggs more frequently.
If they’re not there to eat the fake eggs will do the trick. They’ll peck and peck the eggs until their beaks get sore or they figure out they can’t break them. Once this habit starts you need to be consistent to break it.
Personally I would not want mustard all over my boxes or hens.
You can order fake eggs on line if there’s no store near you. Best wishes

My hens have begun eating their eggs, it all started with one and they have all begun doing it. Its been about 3 days give or take since they started. I poured out the contents of eggs I have and fill it with mustard. I put these fake eggs in the chicken pen and they did peck it. Some of them stopped pecking them but some kept pecking for a small period of time. My question is, is this the correct reaction to mustard or should my chickens have instantly leapt away at the mere taste of it?

Edit: for anyone curious, I am going to put up measures to prevent this from happening again, I just want to know if my mustard egg method is working.
Hi! I dont know how many chickens you have. We had same problem, but only with one young faverolle. She was like a mad bird and she jumped from one nest to another. The eggs were broken. We have every nest a wood fake egg. So I picked them up and replaced the eggs with french mustard. We make only two eggs with mustard and one of them was eaten by the morning. There was nothing to clean. After that we have normal life in the flock. But mustard eggs must be placed in the evening in the nest.

Hi! I dont know how many chickens you have. We had same problem, but only with one young faverolle. She was like a mad bird and she jumped from one nest to another. The eggs were broken. We have every nest a wood fake egg. So I picked them up and replaced the eggs with french mustard. We make only two eggs with mustard and one of them was eaten by the morning. There was nothing to clean. After that we have normal life in the flock. But mustard eggs must be placed in the evening in the nest.
Your chickens ATE the mustard?? :eek:

Did you have to keep putting in mustard consistently or did you only have to do this once and the habit stopped

One of the birds has begun moulting, they all seem to be at least one year old, they are on a 18 layer feed with some chick starter(for protein) and a 7:3 ratio grain mix.( Full if a variety of grains.)

What is a 7:3 ratio grain?
How much grain do they get daily?

Just trying to rule out any nutritional issue.

Back
Top Bottom