I moved them outside at 2 weeks. Yay or nay?

Will they be ok? Did I move them outside too soon?
Chicks do not really care whether they are inside your house or outdoors.

They need protection from the weather (like the tarps you put up), and protection from predators (I don't know if your dog kennel is good enough for that or not.)

They also need the right temperature, including a warm spot and some cool space. It sounds like your heat lamp is providing a warm spot, and if the dog kennel is big enough there should be enough cool space as well.

Of course chicks need food and water as well, but you have provided that.

That is basically everything chicks need. It sounds like your setup should be fine, except maybe if predators come visiting (as several other people have already said.)

Wow. So many different responses. It is a wire dog cage. I will take a pic or two and post them. I never thought about predators. Never seen any coons, not saying there are none. Only thing I’ve seen is a squirrel every now and then. But I’ve never been out all night when coons are usually out
Predators are one of the biggest things to consider when raising chickens and building their home. If you don't have them now they will come once you get chickens.

I think you should move the chicks back in. I usually move them out at 6 weeks. Maybe keep them inside in the dog kennel until you get or build a chicken coop.
A chicken coop would be a good idea.

But chicks can be brooded in an outdoor coop or pen from the very first day, if it provides what they need. In this case, I think predators are the only real concern, and they would kill 6-week chicks just as easily as 2-week chicks. So I don't see any reason to move them inside for a certain amount of time.

I would concentrate on providing a safe place at all times and all ages.

IMG_1374.jpeg

IMG_1376.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom