I moved them outside at 2 weeks. Yay or nay?

It’s pretty tight all the way around except for the front as far as access for predators. The gaps in the cage wires are about 1 1/2 inch and obviously we keep the cage closed when we are not out there with them

That seems pretty secure. You might just want to put a lock on the tray for the kennel. We had done a similar thing for our evil rooster and our dog slid the tray to get the roosters leg and ate him.

We need to buy or build a coop for them in the same spot where the cage currently is. I have no idea about building a coop but am pretty handy with woodworking. I would just need some advice or suggestions.

We need to buy or build a coop for them in the same spot where the cage currently is. I have no idea about building a coop but am pretty handy with woodworking. I would just need some advice or suggestions.
Your best bet and quickest option would be buying a shed and modifying it (adding LOTS of ventilation, roosts, nesting boxes, etc).

Last edited:
I think the crate looks safe from.... most things.
But. The babies will fly sooner than you might think...
You might consider this as a safer option than the heat lamp....?

Momma heating pad

(I use a long heating pad on the top, a short one in the bottom, and have some leftover heavy fencing for the “frame”)
You can buy “press n seal” off Amazon if you can’t find it locally.
I do not recommend an alternative product!

JMO
Pic attached of week old poults
I do typically also tuck a remote “sender” for a cheap outdoor thermometer / hygrometer in the “dome”.... so, when I wake up at night, I can check the receiver and not go outside.

I do have them in a brooder that is 1/2” hardware cloth, but I also don’t have everything tucked against fairly solid fencing, sooo....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-picture-heavy-update.956958/#post-14882145

Attachments

• 148A3351-DA58-4A81-A05E-C1D018864423.jpeg
    148A3351-DA58-4A81-A05E-C1D018864423.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

I would double-check the temperature under the heat lamp, and consider whether to put it lower down. The way it is now, it is making a large area warm, but I don't know if any of it will be warm enough during the coldest part of the night. If you put the heat lamp lower, it heats a smaller area, but it makes that area warmer. This is helpful during the cold part of the night (warmer), but also helpful in the daytime (warm area is smaller, so there is more room for the chicks to get away from the heat.) I would aim for at least 90 degrees under the heat lamp at the coldest part of the night, and it could be quite a bit warmer during the daytime.

You don't want to adjust the heat lamp several times each day: just give the chicks lots of cool space and one warm space, and they will handle the adjustments by moving themselves to whichever spot is comfortable at the time.

Does the heat lamp have a way to hang it from a chain, rather than using the clamp? Sometimes clamps get knocked loose, and of course a fallen heat lamp is a major problem.

Apart from predator issues, and maybe adjusting the heat lamp, that looks like a good setup.

For a coop in that spot:
Hardware cloth is a good starting point (the sturdy kind with holes 1/2" in size.)

I think you could make a wood frame, with a solid roof, and put hardware cloth on all sides, plus something solid for the bottom. The roof would provide shelter from sun and rain, the hardware cloth sides would provide good ventilation, and all of it would protect them from predators. The wood fence and the house will provide shelter from wind, so you don't really need to make solid sides for the coop.

Try to size it so you can walk in easily, or else so you can reach all areas inside. Chickens like to lay eggs in the corners you can't reach, and of course they run into the far corner when you try to catch them.

A general rule of thumb is that each adult chicken needs 4 square feet of floor space in the coop, not counting any space that has a feeder or waterer or nestbox. More space is fine, and the chickens are usually happier if you do give them more space.

You will want roosts for them to sleep on (probably between 2" and 4" wide), allowing about 1 foot per chicken on the roosts. They will all want to sleep on the highest roost, so you might make more than one roost that are all the same height (so they are all "highest.")

They will need nestboxes for laying eggs. Hens are usually happy to take turns in the nestboxes, up to about 4 hens per nestboxes.

(This is not everything you need to build a good coop, just the things I thought of when I looked at your photos.)

Momma heating pad

(I use a long heating pad on the top, a short one in the bottom, and have some leftover heavy fencing for the “frame”)

JMO
I do typically also tuck a remote “sender” for a cheap outdoor thermometer / hygrometer in the “dome”.... so, when I wake up at night, I can check the receiver and not go outside.

I do have them in a brooder that is 1/2” hardware cloth, but I also don’t have everything tucked against fairly solid fencing, sooo....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-picture-heavy-update.956958/#post-14882145

Momma heating pad

JMO

I second this! I made a Mama Heat cave and have used it for three seasons of chicks, I have some under it now actually. I love this method, unless power goes out then I panic. That heat lamp in that small cage space makes me nervous for you, I've read abut so so many fires caused by lamps.

Momma heating pad

JMO

As for your coop, there is a whole section filled w ideas

I am sorry I’m not sure how to send that link, maybe someone here can help?

However, I will say, that if you are sticking it into that side yard.... you will want 1/2 - 1-4” hardware cloth on the fence (depending on your local predators- check to see if lesser weasels are in your area), a solid floor of some kind so nothing can dig under from the other side of the fence, and.... you will have to get creative w nesting areas, as you won’t be able to access from a side.

That also looks like a very narrow area.... so you will want to make it sturdy enough to withstand weather in your area, and tall enough that you can stand up to go inside to clean, feed, water, and collect eggs.

I may be biased. I’m 6’2” and hate crouching down/ whacking my head while trying to work. I clean coops generally daily. I make them tall enough to stand in....

Back
Top Bottom