Lowest low is 70. When can I move my RIR chicks to the coop?

LynnTXchickenmom

Chirping
Aug 22, 2022
Our RIR chicks were hatched on Aug 3. We have 21 of them in 2 brooders. They’ve been on the front porch in 105 highs, only needing the heat lamp at night. Now temps are 85- 73 and I’ve had the heat lamp on all the time. They are moving around, flapping wings, trying to fly out when I open the brooder lid, knocking over food and water, or resting spread out in the brooders.

So now that they are 20 days old, they are getting bigger and fast outgrowing the brooder. When can we put them in the coop? We will confine them to the coop until they are older and used to it as home—there are no older chickens in it. At what age can 21 chicks be ok together with lows in the 70s in a coop? I’m mainly asking for two days we will be gone over Labor Day weekend. I’ve got someone to check on them daily, but the coop will be better than what will be a tight-squeeze in the brooders by then. Lows will be 70 or higher—N TX in Sept. They’ll need larger and more stable feeders and waterers, for example.

Thanks!!!

I've had some chicks in my brooder coop for a couple of weeks, at first with a heat lamp. They are now 2-1/2 weeks old. I removed the heat lamp about 5 days ago; they didn't use it at all. I have a heating pad mounted on a 4" high frame in there with them, keeps it about 95-deg-F under the frame. They don't use it, either. They huddle in a corner snug and happy. Our lows are in the 60's at night.

Back
Top Bottom