no male guinea hen is laying....did rooster knock her up?

campdirector

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan City, IN
Hey guys,

So my male guinea was taken by an owl about 3 months ago. My hen just started laying this week. Question I have is did my rooster knock her up? I have 2 roosters a buff orphington and black austrolops. They both constantly are trying to mate with the guinea hen. Several times she has actually been receptive. I am going to try and hatch a few. Is there a chance I am going to get a cross? I have read multiple posts talking about crosses and have seen several pics but is it common or rare? Anywho, I will keep you all posted.

scott

Yes, if the roosters are trying to breed with your Guinea Hen you can end up with fertile eggs. And they will be hybrids, if they hatch. It's not that common, but it does happen. Supposedly the hybrids don't live very long. Do a search for Miracle here on BYC. There's some really good pics, and it's a great thread to read.

Yes, if the roosters are trying to breed with your Guinea Hen you can end up with fertile eggs. And they will be hybrids, if they hatch. It's not that common, but it does happen. Supposedly the hybrids don't live very long. Do a search for Miracle here on BYC. There's some really good pics, and it's a great thread to read.

Miracles story is awesome, but you'll cry at the end!
love.gif

Someone told me that a guinea male can fertilize chicken eggs but that a chicken male could not fertilize guinea hens?

That is what the lady told me that I bought my guineas from. She had a hybrid there. She was a hen and she was funny looking and she was at least a year old. I think they are born sterile too. Kindof like when you breed a horse and a donkey and get a mule I guess.

Back
Top Bottom