no male guinea hen is laying....did rooster knock her up?

All the hybrids on feathersite are male chicken/female guinea.
I think they have a link to a site where someone wrote about some commercial male guinea/white leghorn hen crosses, but they had to be AIed because the guinea couldn't mate naturally with the chicken hen. It said they where using them as meat birds, but why would you use a leghorn for meat. Unless you still want it to look guinea-ish?
It also said on that site that male hybrids where called Guins and female Guinhens. I think I would call mine Guickens :lol:

Someone told me that a guinea male can fertilize chicken eggs but that a chicken male could not fertilize guinea hens?

Actually it's the other way around... without getting too graphic, the male Guineas aren't "well endowed" enough to effectively breed with other species of poultry, so whichever species of female poultry a male Guinea is trying to breed with has to be exceptionally receptive in order for her to receive enough of his sperm to lay fertilized eggs.

Actually it's the other way around... without getting too graphic, the male Guineas aren't "well endowed" enough to effectively breed with other species of poultry, so whichever species of female poultry a male Guinea is trying to breed with has to be exceptionally receptive in order for her to receive enough of his sperm to lay fertilized eggs.

Maybe that is what she told me and I had it backwards?
idunno.gif

I hope they are fertile and you get a gen or a hennie (that is what I heard them called)
lau.gif

I'm surprised she is receptive. Mine don't really pay much attention to the chickens. I get a kick out of my guinea hens. They like to play hard to get. The male chases her and chases her round and round and round the house. They have such stamina! Then when he is about to give up she turns around, lifts her wings and chases him for a little ways then takes off again so he can chase her. LOL They are so much fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom