Pea Comb x Single Comb and got a Buttercup Comb?

sjango

Songster
7 Years
May 2, 2017
San Diego County, California
As the title says I bred a rooster with what I believe to be a Pea Comb with a hen with a Single Comb and one of the offspring has a Duplex Single Comb. I am 100% certain this is the pair that produced the offspring because they've been in the same breeding pen together for well over a month. Furthermore I don't have any males or females with duplex in any of my flocks.

I though Duplex was dominant to Non-Duplex but could a single copy of Duplex be hiding under the Pea Comb gene of the sire?
Or is this a case of a random mutation occurring?

Father:
IMG-8211.jpg

Mother:
maizie2.jpg

Offspring:
raraku_1_7.png

Attachments

• IMG-8314.jpg
    IMG-8314.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
As the title says I bred a rooster with what I believe to be a Pea Comb with a hen with a Single Comb and one of the offspring has a Duplex Single Comb. I am 100% certain this is the pair that produced the offspring because they've been in the same breeding pen together for well over a month. Furthermore I don't have any males or females with duplex in any of my flocks.

I though Duplex was dominant to Non-Duplex but could a single copy of Duplex be hiding under the Pea Comb gene of the sire?

Father:
View attachment 3123320

Mother:
View attachment 3123359

Offspring:
View attachment 3123345
That's cool mine do the same thing a lot. They're mixed breeds so there might be some genes in them you can't see pretty birds tho❤️

That's cool mine do the same thing a lot. They're mixed breeds so there might be some genes in them you can't see pretty birds tho❤️

Not exactly mixed breeds here but they are landraces which are known to have a lot of genetic diversity because no one has selectively bred them to display a specific subset of traits! :)

My understanding of the comb genetics matches yours. Definitely puzzling!

I'll tag some of the genetics experts, to see if any of them know what is going on here.
@nicalandia @ColtHandorf @Amer

My understanding of the comb genetics matches yours. Definitely puzzling!

I'll tag some of the genetics experts, to see if any of them know what is going on here.
@nicalandia @ColtHandorf @Amer
Ooooh, I don't know. I actually just hatched a chick that resulted from a Double x Single comb pairing. I've never crossed anything to a Buttercup. I know @JacinLarkwell has had some odd comb types pop up out of some crosses.

I know comb genetics are known to be wonky sometimes. This is the first time I've seen a Duplex Comb in any of my birds. I usually see only Pea Comb or Single Combs and nothing else. This is the primary reason I think it could be a random mutation. What initially caused Duplex genotypes was a duplication within the comb loci, so I suppose the same duplication could occur again simultaneously, and some loci are more prone to mutation than others. I'm not sure if this is the case with genes relating to combs.

My weirdos come from V combs mixed with either single or peas. The fronts resemble the pea or single fronts, and then the backs either look like a star (if single combed was mixed) or a small flower (if pea comb was mixed).

The female kept a dainty comb, but the males all looked like I glued sea urchins to their foreheads after 4 months

My weirdos come from V combs mixed with either single or peas. The fronts resemble the pea or single fronts, and then the backs either look like a star (if single combed was mixed) or a small flower (if pea comb was mixed).

The female kept a dainty comb, but the males all looked like I glued sea urchins to their foreheads after 4 months
Same lol

The Butter Cup Comb Genetics it's a different mutation from the regular V Type comb.

The gene causing the buttercup type of Du-
plex comb is a weak semi dominant with 100% penetrance in males and 68% penetrance in fe-males. 21% of Heterozygote females show a single comb

There are two allelic mutations found on the autosomal duplex comb allele.

d+ is the wildtype and it's recessive

D^V is the Duplex comb found on Polish breed and it's incompletely dominant but with a 100% penetrance(you can tell the D^V/d+ from d+/d+)

D^C which is a weak semi dominant(weak penetrance and up to 32% of heterozygous females go unnoticed and look like d+/d+ single comb)

The chick on the picture with a Butter Cup Type comb is clearly a male which is p+/p+, D^C/d+

1653517836954.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom