Pea Comb x Single Comb and got a Buttercup Comb?

Wow, @nicalandia, thank you again! This is the first and only offspring from her of 13 that has had this trait so I thought it was strange. If D^C is inherited by a Pp+ or PP individual would it be noticeable at all? Most of the offspring from this pair have pea combs so I’m wondering if some of the are carrying D^C/Buttercup.

Those chicks are P/p+(none of them are P/P), So far the only test that has been done on the inheritance of D^C and D^V has been on Single comb.

https://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/82/2/169.full.pdf+html

20220529_120619.jpg

Here's mine 🤣

Will chime in to say that the rooster in the pics is NOT pea comb. That is a modified comb of some type where two different genes are being expressed. Look closely at a homozygous pea comb bird and note the tiny notches along the center of the comb. Then study your bird.

Will chime in to say that the rooster in the pics is NOT pea comb. That is a modified comb of some type where two different genes are being expressed. Look closely at a homozygous pea comb bird and note the tiny notches along the center of the comb. Then study your bird.

Thank you DarJones! I have never been entirely sure about most of my bird's combs genetically, though the single combs seem to be pretty straight forward. I work with landrace fowl so there is no strict standard for comb type. But there are some traits that are more common than others and plenty that do not exist within the gene pool at all.

It is always hard tell from pictures alone what kind of combs each bird has or what the standard terminology for the type is.

Last edited:
It's a Pea Comb, no doubt in my mind. The expression of pea combs will vary from breed to breed.

Pea comb as normally described has a central ridge that appears slightly notched (forming peas) and a ridge on each side that is usually lower than the central ridge. The pictured rooster has a central ridge but no ridges on the sides. Pea comb is normally a smaller comb than in the picture. Also, note the very small wattles. I submit that OP's picture is a rooster that has at least one and maybe two modifier genes that are changing the expression. I don't know what other genes are in play as that particular combination has not shown up in my birds.

This one might be interesting just for grins. http://www.selectedplants.com/miscan/cush.jpg

It segregated out from a cross of flat rose comb X straight comb. It is a stable comb type meaning it breeds true when same type parents are crossed. It is not strawberry comb as the comb does not extend out over the beak. It is not walnut comb as it would segregate some rose comb chicks when same type is crossed.

That's a really neat looking comb, DarJones! One of the traits common and preferred in Raraku is diminutive to nonexistent wattles, so I wonder if something that's modifying the comb is also influencing waddle expression.

Your single comb hen might be hiding one copy of the duplex gene. @nicalandia gave a great textbook explanation. I'll just add that I'm skeptical of D^v and D^c being two different alleles of the same gene. They might be the same allele with the phenotypical differences being the result of unnamed modifiers. It's either that or that D^v very easily and often mutates into D^c.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom