Pricing 3-month-old Welsh Harlequins

TXChookstead

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
East Texas
I have around 13 Welsh Harlequins of about 3 months old that I'd like to sell. Their parents placed in the county fair, and their markings are correct, to the best of my knowledge.

Our area of E. Texas doesn't have a lot of this breed, and I am trying to figure out how much to ask for males and females. Would be grateful for any input!

Edited to add that they are all silver phase; my camera's color is a bit off.

Attachments

• IMG_20221014_171722__02.jpg
    IMG_20221014_171722__02.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20221014_171744__01.jpg
    IMG_20221014_171744__01.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 9
It all depends on your local market. I do 15-20 on drakes and 35-40 on hens. I try to move as many out as pairs as I can to reduce getting stuck with drakes that I have to sell cheap.

Thanks
It all depends on your local market. I do 15-20 on drakes and 35-40 on hens. I try to move as many out as pairs as I can to reduce getting stuck with drakes that I have to sell cheap.
Thanks so much, Miss Lydia and Relicshunter. That helps. I'm still trying to figure out the local market. I bought the parents from 4-H advisers in the next county. (They had hatched them from multiple batches of shipped eggs, as they were so hard to find here.) They had priced them at $20 each, but dropped it $5 each when they found out that we wanted to have them as a 4-H project, too (very kind). So far I have no response to 2 postings on relevant local Facebook groups, which makes me a little nervous. No price is listed there at all.

Meanwhile...going through a LOT of feed. :confused:

I have around 13 Welsh Harlequins of about 3 months old that I'd like to sell. Their parents placed in the county fair, and their markings are correct, to the best of my knowledge.

Our area of E. Texas doesn't have a lot of this breed, and I am trying to figure out how much to ask for males and females. Would be grateful for any input!

Edited to add that they are all silver phase; my camera's color is a bit off.
If it helps at all, I start my duckling pricing at $10 for newly hatched, and add $1 per week for however long I grow them out. So if yours are 12 weeks old, that would be $22 each. However, once I can sex them, I cap the boys at $20 and continue to increase the females.

Also, I list on Craigslist. I just don’t care for Facebook.

That strategy worked when I was raising WHs, but this year I have Cayugas, and they did not sell at all during the straight run age. I only got 2 females out of 11 ducklings, and now I am stuck with 7 unsold males.

Back
Top Bottom