Roosters tearing feathers from hens. What can i do?

countrykids4

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
My rooster are tearing the feathers from the backs of my hens what should i do? I have thought about separating them. But am afraid the Roosters might fight. My hens looked real good. But now they all look Bad because of these nasty roosters. I really don't care for having Roosters.. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
I can't help you, but I think my rooster did the same same thing to one of my hens. I got so upset and it was below zero I brought her inside. Good news is the feathers are growing back. I hope you can get a better answer!

How many hens and roosters do you have? Roosters will pull feathers out of the hens when they are holding them down to "have their way with them". I have seen hen aprons on a website I think it was mypetchicken.com or shopthecoop.com. They protect the hens from the plucking. I think some roosters are more aggressive than others and some hens are more submissive than others. I would remove the rooster for a bit and see what happens...

welcome-byc.gif

if you enter "chicken saddles" in the search box top right, you'll find lots of info about protecting hen from overly amorous roosters.

If you have too many roosters, that can happen. You may have to get rid of some of them. As someone else mentioned, you can buy a chicken saddle to cover the area that's getting torn up. Or watch to see if one particular rooster is to blame. It may be a young rooster who doesn't know how to be gentle, or just a rough rooster.

Last edited:
I have heard of those aprons before. I have 36 hen and 4 Roosters I just hate to buy or make 36 of those apron. EN then to think about washing them. Yuck. . Hubby Clipped the Roosters claws today hopping that might help. It was Beautiful today so we left them out to free range. They had been in a buddy run durring all the snow. Do I have enough Hens for each Rooster. Just asking I thought we did. But then i could be Wrong. I thought it was 8-10 hens for each Rooster. I will look up the saddles or Apron though.

You just need a few chicken saddles (aprons) to cover the hens that need time to heal. Do you have 4 good roosters or is one rooster the low man that is taking it out on the girls? I think you would be fine with 3 roosters instead of 4.

I have one young rooster with three pullets, all three of my pullets are wearing chicken saddles and I wash them once a month. I will look into trimming the claws on my rooster too.

My pullets starting wearing their aprons before Ricky had a chance to tear them up. He does bite a little on their head or neck when he is pinning them down. So far, so good.

Good luck,

Hugh

I believe I have 42 RIR hens with 2 roosters. I only want roosters for fertile eggs and thats not necessary often anyway. Otherwise, I consider roosters to be for meat only; or they are a pain in the butt. Sure they are pretty and have funny ways and cute little dances, but they can make some real trouble. They are here for replacement purposes only. I would keep them in jail, until their services are required; if at all.

Try the aprons, they're the way to go.

I'll let you know, though, that mine, once he got all the feathers out on his two favorites in a patch, stopped doing damage. He hasn't scratched them or anything, it's really kinda weird. I gave upon the aprons being Bossy seemed to be able to get out of anything short of a straight-jacket. I'll make them again if it looks like anyone's getting hurt.

Back
Top Bottom