UPDATE-FINISHED! New Coop from "The Garden Coop" plans PIC HEAVY

LOVE IT!!!! Nice job. We will be staining ours this week before we put on the roof and wrap it in the hardware cloth (so dreading that job). Love the pix of the chick sitting on the stairs, adorable. BTW, love your sitting set-up too.

Thanks everyone! We're really happy with how it turned out.

MadHens--are you building the Garden Coop or just a coop in general?

SueBaby--What a great idea! I love it.

Chicks4Erin--Congrats on almost being done! The hardware cloth wasn't too bad, except when you're nailing it in above. If I could do it all over again, I would have stapled the hardware cloth on the top before installing the roof (I actually figured that out before hand, but stupid Agri-Supply forgot to order my cloth! I didn't want to waste a whole weekend waiting!). I read somewhere )can't remember where) where someone made wood frames, maybe out of 1x1 or 1x2 furring strips, stapled the cloth to them, then just slid the frames into place and screwed them in. It's WAY easier and furring strips are cheap (like 85 cents for 8 feet) so you might want to consider that.

Thanks again everyone!

Great post, I live in NC also and have been thinking hard on the Garden Coop. Love your addition of the 2 windows and extra door for cleaning. I would also do the external nesting boxes. I will be following your advice> Great job!
PS
this will also be my 1st wood project!!
:)

We built a garden coop too. We have really liked it. For those who have mentioned making a garden coop bigger, we did that, We made it approximately 7' x 12 '. I have 12 hens in it currently, and there is plenty of room. I have had as many as 15 birds in it.

I'm thinking of building the garden ark next.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
These coops are great. Good job all of you. I've been wanting to build but have no experience or talent and was worried but you've encouraged me to try. Thanks

The coop looks great!

I built my coop from the Garden Coop plans as well. I had zero building experience, yet still managed to build one WITH a ton of modifications. I can't recommend the plans enough.

I absolutely love your coop! We built The Garden Coop and pretty much stayed true to the design, but though we are up north in Minnesota - the summers get into the high 90's with a lot of humidity and our current coop has almost no ventilation. I just emailed my husband the link to your pictures so he can start planning how to add windows just like yours. I love the idea of the cleaning doors and you mentioned "overkill" on the drop down door for the egg nests and I have to say that is almost certainly a must! It will make cleaning so easy.

We don't let our hens (by the way - I laughed out loud at your nickname "chickpeas" hahahaaaaa) - unless we are outside with them. I would love free rangers but there are too many neighborhood dogs (including two of my own) and predators. But it's lovely to let them out a few hours before sundown and watch them from the porch. So far, they simply eat their way around their coop and then head back inside for a nap. Too funny. Thank you for sharing all your photos. They are fabulous.

I was googling the Garden Coop and found your post. I love all of the stenciling you did! We live in Hillsborough, NC, so I was excited to see how you modified your coop for our roasting summers. How have you liked your set-up? I was considering ordering their hardware package since shopping at home depot for too long with a 1 year old and 4 year old can be ridiculous
1f601.png
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom