Urgent! I Need Advice On How To Get Two Free-range Hens and a Rooster In a Dog Kennel!

I live in Canada in a rural area and also adore having chickens and have had them for 36 years. Chickens don't hate a coop nor do they hate to go in at night. They need to be locked up securely at night or they will all be gone. I stress securely. The window that is open in the summer for ventilation is covered with strong securely attached rabbit wire strong enough to stop the biggest raccoon and even the bears don't bother it although their paw prints are on the door. The big door and the small chicken door both have 2 latches in case a coon gets one open. The chickens all willingly file in to the coop at bed time without any prompting after running around outside in their huge fenced in pen all day.

So sorry to hear you've lost these birds. :(

I am a newbie chicken keeper myself (sorry! wish I had loads of experience to offer good tips!). But, I do wonder if maybe you would be able to - in the area of the car port that the birds already use for sleeping - install some wood framing for an enclosure shape and wrap it with 1/2" hardware cloth for the walls. Plus framing for a door/entrance. Just make sure area is 1) enclosed - no open gaps at roof, etc 2) secure - with hardware cloth, or reuse scrap wood, etc if available and 3) has a door with a lock/latch door (door for chickens and/or humans - just remember you will need to be able to reach in there to clean up the poops beneath their sleeping roost).

Maybe this could be a relatively inexpensive solution? (Compared to building an entire coop elsewhere on your property.)

With this idea, the birds would still be in their sleeping "home" of the car port, but securely. They would already know the area and not hesitate to use it at night. Keep the ladder in there, if that is where they like to roost. Could help address your husband's concerns about getting the birds to enter the secure area at night.

Wishing you safe and secure sleeping for your chickens!

Also, I just saw this on BYC about free materials. And I've seen many other posts on this topic in the past; search BYC to find more info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rce=threadloom&utm_medium=email#post-24490494

If you have space in that barn, a quick hoop coop inside the barn could offer a great deal of protection.
Okay, hon, so school me. I probably have the lumber, if not I'll get it. I also have chicken wire, although I know that sucks for predator proofing. I think my husband said we have some aviation cloth somewhere, too ( I'd ask him, but he's picking up his daughter from school right now). Thank you so much, in advance.

@poultryprofessor was working on updating these for her university (not sure if that project has finished):
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ASC/ASC189/ASC189.pdf

These are handy if you like some detailed instructions.

These hoop coops are what we are currently using at the university here in Jeff City, MO. Build cost depends on your preferences, but ours ran about ~$300-350 with current lumber prices. I am working on a comprehensive build guide, but the original plans were made based on this publication out of Kentucky. Just note their cost specs are very out of date and they assume some general knowledge of tools/materials. I can also provide a draft of our comprehensive guide if someone is interested. Eventually the full guide will be publicly available - just needs some editing and pictures.

View attachment 2618495

Our initial build used their 5mil tarps because they are cheap, but I will tell you they did not hold up. Between rubbing on a few rough points of wire/wood/etc and UV damage from the sun, they had large tears and were visibly degraded within about six months. We replaced both with 10-mil tarps which were more expensive, but have lasted longer. You definitely will want to secure the structure to the ground. We just tie the braces on the front to t-posts driven into the ground or use ground anchors.

These are roughly 8 x 8 and have worked well for ~15 pullets/hens.

Back
Top Bottom