Wet stomach on ducklings, is it a worry?

Mar 7, 2022
SE Ohio
As the title says. My ducklings are messy, which is in standard šŸ¤£ I donā€™t mind! But their stomachs are usually damp from their antics, and only thre. They dry up under the lamp, then go back into it! Is this okay? I really donā€™t know how to keep them dry. They seem fine, eat tons, etc.

Hi. If they are ducklings,you should probably keep they dry and not give them a shallow dish in which they can swim or get wet since they are not fully feathered and need warm conditions till around 3 weeks. Give them something deep enough to dunk their bill but not their body.

Hi. If they are ducklings,you should probably keep they dry and not give them a shallow dish in which they can swim or get wet since they are not fully feathered and need warm conditions till around 3 weeks. Give them something deep enough to dunk their bill but not their body.
X2
something sufficient for them to dunk their bills in to make sure they're clean is essential, but not enough for them to get into and get soaked.

Itā€™s not a dish to swim in. They splash the water out of their waterer and it makes their stomachs wet!
X2
something sufficient for them to dunk their bills in to make sure they're clean is essential, but not enough for them to get into and get soaked.

theyre not soaked, tbf, but their stomachs do get wet.

I donā€™t plan to give them free swimming water in any way while theyā€™re inside lol. Theyā€™re just doing ducklings things and getting themselves and each other wet.

I donā€™t plan to give them free swimming water in any way while theyā€™re inside lol. Theyā€™re just doing ducklings things and getting themselves and each other wet.
What kind of water dish do you have for them right now? I'm surprised they be getting soaked just from that.

Personally I would not worry about messy ducklings splashing their water down their chests. I would be worried if they remained wet and at risk of chilling. But as you say that they dry under the lamp they are not going to chill as they will move to the lamp whenever they feel cold.

They are ducklings. Ducklings are messy,. Ducklings like playing in water. You have a heat lamp substitute for mama duck keeping them warm. All good

What kind of water dish do you have for them right now? I'm surprised they be getting soaked just from that.
I just have a gravity waterer, chick sized, so no drowning risks. i have four and they all like to go in circles drinking in it and flicking water all over each other, I keep the water and food catcher as dry as I can, but ducklings lol.
Personally I would not worry about messy ducklings splashing their water down their chests. I would be worried if they remained wet and at risk of chilling. But as you say that they dry under the lamp they are not going to chill as they will move to the lamp whenever they feel cold.

They are ducklings. Ducklings are messy,. Ducklings like playing in water. You have a heat lamp substitute for mama duck keeping them warm. All good
okay, thank you! They have some enrichment like pipes (I think pvc? The white ones) that get nice and warm, like a basking rock. The wet ones will sit on or in it and preen, by the time theyā€™re up again, theyā€™re dry and ready to star the cycle. Nobody seems chilled and huddled!

Back
Top Bottom