What breed is this chick?

snooki

Chirping
Apr 30, 2024
Hello, i’m new to chickens and this is my first chick. I’m pretty sure it’s a female, (if not please correct me), but I’m not sure what her breed is.

Attachments

• 20240428_161552.jpeg
    20240428_161552.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8383.jpeg
    IMG_8383.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8382.jpeg
    IMG_8382.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240428_103239.jpeg
    20240428_103239.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 11
Where did you get her? The longer you wait to get her another flockmate or 2, the harder it will be. I recommend doing some reading on raising chicks. There are many great books and articles to get you going. She could be many breeds, that's why understanding how you aquired her will help narrow it down. She could also be male or female, hard to tell at this age.

Where did you get her? The longer you wait to get her another flockmate or 2, the harder it will be. I recommend doing some reading on raising chicks. There are many great books and articles to get you going. She could be many breeds, that's why understanding how you aquired her will help narrow it down. She could also be male or female, hard to tell at this age.
I just got her from someone at the flea market two days ago. I’ll have to go back and get another this weekend, hopefully i can ask then. Thanks for answering.

maybe a buff orpington.

please get him/her some friends, chickens are strictly social animals and can die because of loneliness. Even as house pets, they instinctually require companions of the same species (can be a different breed depnding on temperment)
I’ll try to get another asap, ty for answering!!

I just got her from someone at the flea market two days ago. I’ll have to go back and get another this weekend, hopefully i can ask then. Thanks for answering.
That's a great idea. Possibly you'll get one of her OG flockmates, she'll be so much happier. You're going to want a heat source too. And I hope you're thinking about the outdoor space for them when they're bigger. They grow really fast! :love

That's a great idea. Possibly you'll get one of her OG flockmates, she'll be so much happier. You're going to want a heat source too. And I hope you're thinking about the outdoor space for them when they're bigger. They grow really fast! :love
Yeah, that was the plan! Once I get my second chicken, i’m planning on getting a coop for the two of them in our backyard and a proper heating source. Super excited!! :wee

maybe a buff orpington.
I would say a Buff Orpington! 💗

It's hard for me to tell color in the photos, but I think I see buff down and then white feathers in the wings. That would be the wrong color for Buff Orpington, but correct for females of many Red Sexlink* types. (Also for males of some mixes, so I'm not making any guesses about whether the chick is male or female.)

But if I'm seeing the colors wrong, then of course my breed guesses will be wrong.

*Red Sexlinks are sold under many different names, including Red Star, Golden Comet, ISA Brown, Lohmann brown, and others. They typically have feathers that are gold or red in color, with white in the tail and the big feathers of the wings and sometimes white on other parts of the body too, and they are good layers of brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom