What Can I Use (I Can't Aford A Heat Lamp) To Keep My Baby Chicks Warm?

babychickens2

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
California
i just got the chicks today!
jumpy.gif
they were a surprise from my uncle and i don't have the supplies
hu.gif
... right now they are napping
smile.png
on a pillow, they wrapped in a sweater and i have a stuffed animal on top of them to seem like mama chicken
D.gif
is sitting on them. i will enjoy tips and pointers please! ^_^ thank you!
frow.gif

Do you have a box or large storage bin to keep them in? You can use a regular light bulb during the day to keep them warm, but I here that using it during the night isn't healthy for the chicks. You can find a red heating bulb at your local pet store for under $5. You can probably find a way to use a lamp you already have.

i just got the chicks today!
jumpy.gif
they were a surprise from my uncle and i don't have the supplies
hu.gif
... right now they are napping
smile.png
on a pillow, they wrapped in a sweater and i have a stuffed animal on top of them to seem like mama chicken
D.gif
is sitting on them. i will enjoy tips and pointers please! ^_^ thank you!
frow.gif

All i do is take mine outside, though he seems to be better off without anything to warm him up.
(Raising him to be a domestic in-home rooster in an apartment complex.)

go to youtube...there is an enormous amount of info on their for all kinds of things. I use youtube all the time...i'm sure you will find some very good info there.

Thank you everyone who replied! ^_^ turns out my relative used to have a turtle so she gave me its heat lamp! :D but I don't know if its warm enough... Is a reptile lamp warm enough for a chick? [sadly, one of my chicks passed away today v_v]

The reptile lamp should be fine, just make sure you have it a proper distance from the chicks. If they are trying to get out of the light and look like they are panting, they are too hot and it's too close. If they huddle together, they are cold and it is too far away.

Back
Top Bottom