What feed o I feed my 10 almost 11 week old chickens?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My girls and 1 rooster are 10 almost 11 weeks and was wondering what feed I give them instead of chick starter. I know they go to layer feed at 18 weeks and are very prepared for that but I can't figure out what they need at 11 weeks. Please Help!

The starter should be fine for them but if you really want you could switch them to grower feed, starter/grower, or a multi flock type of feed. Is your starter medicated? If so, I would switch them off of it. Also, you don’t have to switch to layer at 18 weeks. It’s usually recommended now to wait for the first egg, which might not be until 24 weeks or sometimes later, or anywhere in between. And actually, with a rooster, you shouldn’t feed layer at all because all the extra calcium is bad for their kidneys. Your girls should be fine on starter/grower (non medicated) or an all flock/multi flock feed their whole lives as long as you provide oyster shell in a separate bowl on the side once they start laying. The girls will take what they need and the boys won’t get too much extra calcium. You should also be providing them grit on the side too if you aren’t already. I actually prefer feeding my birds multi flock because of the higher protein. Mine seem to do better on it. Hopefully this helps.

The starter should be fine for them but if you really want you could switch them to grower feed, starter/grower, or a multi flock type of feed. Is your starter medicated? If so, I would switch them off of it. Also, you don’t have to switch to layer at 18 weeks. It’s usually recommended now to wait for the first egg, which might not be until 24 weeks or sometimes later, or anywhere in between. And actually, with a rooster, you shouldn’t feed layer at all because all the extra calcium is bad for their kidneys. Your girls should be fine on starter/grower (non medicated) or an all flock/multi flock feed their whole lives as long as you provide oyster shell in a separate bowl on the side once they start laying. The girls will take what they need and the boys won’t get too much extra calcium. You should also be providing them grit on the side too if you aren’t already. I actually prefer feeding my birds multi flock because of the higher protein. Mine seem to do better on it. Hopefully this helps.
No, my starter is not medicated. They have been going on there chick grit and I mixed it in with there feed. So when should I start giving them a starter/grower or all flock/multi flock feed? Also my girls are going to lay strong eggs even without the layer feed right? I wasn't planning to get the rooster but the breeder gave me one by accident and I didn't know but I'm already too attached and he won't listen to anyone else so. And is it okay to mice oyster shells in with their feed or not? Sorry, I might have repeated something from your response but this is a lot to take in. lol. and thank you!

No, my starter is not medicated. They have been going on there chick grit and I mixed it in with there feed. So when should I start giving them a starter/grower or all flock/multi flock feed? Also my girls are going to lay strong eggs even without the layer feed right? I wasn't planning to get the rooster but the breeder gave me one by accident and I didn't know but I'm already too attached and he won't listen to anyone else so. And is it okay to mice oyster shells in with their feed or not? Sorry, I might have repeated something from your response but this is a lot to take in. lol. and thank you!
Yeah, sorry for throwing so much info at you at once! Lol :oops:

You can start feeding it now if you want! It’s good for all ages. Or whenever you want. Maybe when you run out of their current food?

And yes they will be fine as long as you provide them with oyster shell!

And I totally understand that!! I never thought I would have a rooster either but I hatched my first chicks in the fall and got really attached to one of them so 😂🤣🙈

And I would put the oyster shell on the side rather than mixing it in so that they can choose for themselves how much calcium they want or need. And also that way you’re sure the rooster won’t get too much. They’re good about knowing what they need.

They don’t need it right now but I would provide it when they get closer to laying.

Yeah, sorry for throwing so much info at you at once! Lol :oops:

You can start feeding it now if you want! It’s good for all ages. Or whenever you want. Maybe when you run out of their current food?

And yes they will be fine as long as you provide them with oyster shell!

And I totally understand that!! I never thought I would have a rooster either but I hatched my first chicks in the fall and got really attached to one of them so 😂🤣🙈

And I would put the oyster shell on the side rather than mixing it in so that they can choose for themselves how much calcium they want or need. And also that way you’re sure the rooster won’t get too much. They’re good about knowing what they need.

They don’t need it right now but I would provide it when they get closer to laying.
Thank you and I think I might give it to them when there 18-24 weeks and see how it goes. And yeah the breeder I went to gave me the rooster, i specifically asked fr a swedish flower hen female ovie but got a rooster and dint know. I mean after a couple weeks I started to notice the waddle but didnt pay very much attention because I was worrying that my silkie was going to be a rooster but it turned out to be the other way around. Hahaha

Thank you and I think I might give it to them when there 18-24 weeks and see how it goes. And yeah the breeder I went to gave me the rooster, i specifically asked fr a swedish flower hen female ovie but got a rooster and dint know. I mean after a couple weeks I started to notice the waddle but didnt pay very much attention because I was worrying that my silkie was going to be a rooster but it turned out to be the other way around. Hahaha
That sounds like a good plan!! I think they’ll be fine. And oh no! That stinks! :( hope you can get a female one eventually!! They really are pretty birds. :love

That sounds like a good plan!! I think they’ll be fine. And oh no! That stinks! :( hope you can get a female one eventually!! They really are pretty birds. :love
yea the breeder says they owe me a free one or they could take it back an replace it but my rooster was already too attached so I decided to stick with it and as long as I make sure no one is hatching were good lol.

yea the breeder says they owe me a free one or they could take it back an replace it but my rooster was already too attached so I decided to stick with it and as long as I make sure no one is hatching were good lol.
That makes sense!! Sounds like a good plan lol as long as you take their eggs away they should be good. :)

For me, I want to hatch from my guy eventually just to see what I’d get because I think him and some of my hens could make some gorgeous babies but alas, he’s not mating them yet. 😂🤣:th

That makes sense!! Sounds like a good plan lol as long as you take their eggs away they should be good. :)

For me, I want to hatch from my guy eventually just to see what I’d get because I think him and some of my hens could make some gorgeous babies but alas, he’s not mating them yet. 😂🤣:th
lol yeah, I want y silkie to at least hatch 1 more silkie cause I feel like shes lonely and another silkie may be goo for her. I'm just hoping my silkie is a girl so far I think she is but all I have too wait for tiny eggs and then she is definitely a female lol

lol yeah, I want y silkie to at least hatch 1 more silkie cause I feel like shes lonely and another silkie may be goo for her. I'm just hoping my silkie is a girl so far I think she is but all I have too wait for tiny eggs and then she is definitely a female lol
Silkies are good mothers!! Should have no problems getting her to go broody lol and yup, that’s how I told with mine too!! They either lay or start crowing 😂🤣

Back
Top Bottom