What size trashcans, will hold a 50 lb bag of feed

Quote:
Indeed. I put a 50lb bag of feed into 2 5-gallon buckets. I found today that a pretty good scoop can be made of a gallon milk jug, you sort of cut the spout off, it's not ideal but generally these are free. It will hold 5 lbs of feed.

10 gallon sounds about right to me. We use 30 gallon metal barrels and they hold 3 bags of pellets each and the 55 gallon barrels hold about 6 bags if you shake it down.

We use at least 2 barels for each type of feed that way you can completly empty one and be using from the other one while you refill the first. Keeps it from getting stale as another poster said.

Of course, we feed 100's.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Haha - ALL of my scoops are made this way. However I would suggest using a half-gallon milk jug instead. I started with one of those two years ago and its still going! I did try making one from a gallon milk jug but it was not strong enough - the sides were flimsier. The half-gallon scoops sides still feel rigid even after multiple uses. We hardly ever buy milk in half gallons so it took me awhile before I could make a second but I now have three - one in the layer feed container, one in the scratch and one in the chick starter.

A 15 or 18 gallon size is perfect. That way you can have 4-5 inches of feed in bottom of can and dump a 50 lb. bag in and still have room to shove a scoop in before pushing the lid down! I have 5 in my garage.... this size works well.

Last edited:
I use the plastic recycle bins that stack on each other. I'm not sure how many gallons they hold but they use very little floor space and I can put 50 Lbs of feed in one, almost a bale of pine shavings in another, and 50 lbs of scratch in the third. They are fairly airtight and the lids flip up and stay up while I'm refilling feeders or spreading new shavings. They work great for me.
Do you have a picture of your setup?

I use a 20 gallon galvanized trash can inside a 31 gallon galvanized trash can and store my feed right next to the coop. I leave the feed in the bag. Plastic won't last around here because the squirrels chew holes in it. I've sealed around the handle on the outer trash can lid with caulk to keep any rain out. Feed stays dry and protected from the weather and the squirrels.

Back
Top Bottom