Which Chicken Breeds Sell Best?

Pics
Look on eBay to see what various hatching eggs sell for, as well as how many buyers they get. Also compare prices on hatchery websites. Keep in mind that common breeds will sell much more quantity, but for a drastically lower price. I opted to breed and sell ultra rare Lamonas at $100 a dozen eggs. While I have a small market, it would take 5 times as many sales of common breed eggs to earn that, which means 5 times as much feed, labor, and packing materials. Basically, it’s all relative, just really think through what you enjoy and would prefer to do on an every day basis.

I buy from a small local certified breeder who is trying to create his own auto-sexing breed using Cream Legbar (auto-sexing, blue eggs), Bielefelder (auto-sexing, large brown eggs, Wheaten & Black Copper Marans (dark chocolate eggs). He’s looking for green egg layers that are distinctively different looking. He sells a ton of the pure breeds and the crosses. Unwanted birds go in the freezer and he sells those too.

An example is Ethel. A CL and Wheaten Marans cross. Unique color with slightly feathered legs and a little Crested head. She is 20 weeks old and should lay sage green eggs. I’ll let you know.
Definitely pretty.

I have a 4-6 month waiting list for mine!🤣
Mostly because the birds need to cooperate and silkies go broody often.
Yes people can get them from a hatchery and have them sent over here as well, but they’re not near as fluffy and cute as the ones I breed.😊
Exactly!!! Ours always have people waiting to get them because they are good quality (not from a hatchery) fluffy silkies! We originally hatched out our hens and roosters ourselves from a lady's flock that is about 2 hours from us. I was on a waiting list for the eggs but I didn't care! Good quality birds are worth waiting for! :)

I have a 4-6 month waiting list for mine!🤣
Mostly because the birds need to cooperate and silkies go broody often.
Yes people can get them from a hatchery and have them sent over here as well, but they’re not near as fluffy and cute as the ones I breed.😊
I breed mine fluffy, no matter the source I get them.
20210920_150426.jpg
20210920_150845.jpg
20210819_154533.jpg
20201019_140905.jpg

"Vanity flocks".

No slight intended by the descriptor, but yes, if you are in an area where they sell, that's where the money/bird is (as I said previously). Though rates of lay tend to be much lower. Near worthless around me.

...and of course you have to plan for how to deal with unwanted males.

Last edited:
I apologize if this question has been asked before but couldn't find it if it has. I am looking into starting a small local hatchery in Louisville, Kentucky. I just can't stop. I love chickens so much and the love keepa growing! So my question is which breeds would be the best to breed that will sell?

I would think one that is more rare to find and not often available to make the most profit. But I also want one that would be friendly and on the cuddlier side, of course! Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated! Thank you!
I only have 2 pet 3 yr old hens from 2 different breeds so I don't have experience with others. My Blue Andalusian is smart, adventurous (escape artist, but thankfully she's outgrown that), fairly small and a little on the delicate side with a few health issues we have to deal with. My Australorp on the other hand is huge, also smart but more laid back, and constantly chatters like she's talking to me when they follow me around. She's extremely hardy and seems to handle the summers and winters here, just south of Atlanta, with no bad effects. She also has gorgeous plumage. They're both prolific layers, but for a flock I would definitely go with the Australorp. If you're going to free range them, the gorgeous fluffy breeds with fancy plumage like Silkies, are popular but excessive feathers on the head can blind them to predators, especially from overhead.

I apologize if this question has been asked before but couldn't find it if it has. I am looking into starting a small local hatchery in Louisville, Kentucky. I just can't stop. I love chickens so much and the love keepa growing! So my question is which breeds would be the best to breed that will sell?

I would think one that is more rare to find and not often available to make the most profit. But I also want one that would be friendly and on the cuddlier side, of course! Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated! Thank you!
Just my opinion but I love the Black Copper Maran. They can be expensive to start out but the quality and taste of the egg is outstanding. The hens are gentle and will talk to you. And they are a hardy breed. Many people want them in their flocks. Good luck.

I only have 2 pet 3 yr old hens from 2 different breeds so I don't have experience with others. My Blue Andalusian is smart, adventurous (escape artist, but thankfully she's outgrown that), fairly small and a little on the delicate side with a few health issues we have to deal with. My Australorp on the other hand is huge, also smart but more laid back, and constantly chatters like she's talking to me when they follow me around. She's extremely hardy and seems to handle the summers and winters here, just south of Atlanta, with no bad effects. She also has gorgeous plumage. They're both prolific layers, but for a flock I would definitely go with the Australorp. If you're going to free range them, the gorgeous fluffy breeds with fancy plumage like Silkies, are popular but excessive feathers on the head can blind them to predators, especially from overhead.
Agreed. Silkies are quite defenseless creatures.😊

Just my opinion but I love the Black Copper Maran. They can be expensive to start out but the quality and taste of the egg is outstanding. The hens are gentle and will talk to you. And they are a hardy breed. Many people want them in their flocks. Good luck.
Taste isn't a breed thing so much as a diet thing. What the bird eats is reflected in how the yolks taste

Wow, all your alls answers are so informative! I'm swimming with information! So how do y'all go about knowing the sexes if I decided to go with a breed that isn't sex linked?

As far what I'd do with the ones that don't sell, especially the cockerels, I suppose I'll have try to give them away or... ya know, *slides finger across the neck*. Any other options?

Back
Top Bottom