Which plants WON'T a chicken eat???

The haven't touched any of my herbs, basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano. They will eat all of your tomatoes, learned the hard way.

I have no idea how this might relate to chickens, but azaleas and rhododendron can be toxic to cats, dogs and some humans. All parts of the plants are toxic.

Darn... got calla lilies coming up soon.

They nibbled the tender leaves on a climbing rose bush, so I fenced it for a while to give it some time to hardy up & grow some thorns. Poor thing.

What I *used* to have and no longer do because of nibbling chickens:
Hostas
Bleeding heart
Japanese maple that went to the ground (now it looks like an umbrella)
Daisies
Violets
Lily of the Valley

I've moved the following:
Poppy
Hostas

I'm going to go get a lilac from my grandma's yard and put it along the fenceline for privacy, chicken shade, and to have a plant to suck up the water from the downspout.

Mine have completely ignored the hostas.

They did wipe out a huge bed of sedum, which I was good with since it was fairly invasive.

Really they've done far more damage scratching things up and stomping on them than eating anything. But they have 1 1/2 acres of mowed yard with flower beds to roam and another 2 acres of unmowed pasture so they aren't without places to find snacks.

I have had to achallenge keepign one hen in paticular out of the vegetable garden. She is quite the artis at finding holes in the hence she can wiggle through. amazing how small a hole they can fit through when they want to!

Quote:
Mine did, too... until last week. They ate the top 3" off every shoot in just 1 day.
rant.gif

I agree that they do more damage walking on stuff and digging up its roots to forage for bugs. We've stopped letting them out in the yard during the day for a while to give the yard a break. That's what a run is for!

This is a very late comment, but my backyard is bordered on one fence with very mature oleanders. Every part of the plant is poisonous, including the smoke from burning the wood, but my chickens have never eaten any. (At least not enough to cause any symptoms I could observe.) They do, however, like to eat banana tree leaves. So I transplanted several banana trees into a corner that they like to congregate in for shade. They can't reach the tallest leaves. Same with elephant ears - they love to eat the lower leaves, but the two I transplanted are over 7 feet tall. I have also planted a pineapple guava in their run - it will grow huge, they don't eat the leaves (apparently) and the flowers and fruit are edible. Free chicken food! I keep them out of the yard except on rare weekends, as they like the grass too much.

Quote:
I think I read on a list of toxic plants for chickens that Morning Glory is bad for them. I pull up weeds all the time in my yard and throw them in the run for my girls (and boys), but I don't put Morning Glory in there, that goes straight to my compost heap.

Back
Top Bottom