Which plants WON'T a chicken eat???

I have found that mine will leave anything that has a strong fragrance like Sage, Lavender, Rosemary. Everything else seems to be fair game.

My chickens mow down a lot of plants that supposedly they don't like, but they haven't touched the Coleus, and they're so easy and grew so fast!

Very interested in this. I've been looking for plants to plant around my pond in my chicken yard. So far, they've eaten my Azaleas and my Cannas. They nibbled a little on my Iris. They've left alone my Butterfly Bush, Martin's Tea Trea, and small Crepe Myrtle. I've dug up some Plumbago to plant in there tomorrow, so I'll see how that goes. How about Roses? Are they just going to devour those? If so, I won't bother.

Paula
I have hostas, day lilies, mint and lavender around pond and the girls ignore them

Very interested in this. I've been looking for plants to plant around my pond in my chicken yard. So far, they've eaten my Azaleas and my Cannas. They nibbled a little on my Iris. They've left alone my Butterfly Bush, Martin's Tea Trea, and small Crepe Myrtle. I've dug up some Plumbago to plant in there tomorrow, so I'll see how that goes. How about Roses? Are they just going to devour those? If so, I won't bother.

Paula
We have free range backyard chickens with a big rose bush. They would get close to it to dig but never ate any of the leaves or the flowers. Second on the lavender and the hellebores. They didn’t like either of those! One thing I can tell you they devoured was my hosta. It was literally gone in a day😖.

Back
Top Bottom