Which should I get bantams or buff orpington

Oh, I had a thought! How about quail? They are tiny, as are their eggs, but you can raise them in the house, basement or garage and your neighbors will probably never know you have them. Two would make a nice meal and five or six eggs should make an omelet. Check out the quail section for more info.

Oh, I had a thought! How about quail? They are tiny, as are their eggs, but you can raise them in the house, basement or garage and your neighbors will probably never know you have them. Two would make a nice meal and five or six eggs should make an omelet. Check out the quail section for more info.
@mallard_maniac already tried bobwhites and coturnix, he wants a bird that is capable of ranging in a pen and returning to a coop loyally at evening. I tried suggsting turkeys and guineafowl but he wants a chicken breed.

@mallard_maniac already tried bobwhites and coturnix, he wants a bird that is capable of ranging in a pen and returning to a coop loyally at evening. I tried suggsting turkeys and guineafowl but he wants a chicken breed.
Oh. Thanks. Back to the drawing board.

1000006943.png

do bantams brood their own eggs?

there are pros and cons for both breeds. Orpingtons are great, they're like fluffy chicken golden retrievers. They're docile and kind, and their roosters are generally not too aggressive. I myself have had seven orps and 1 rooster. The girls were wonderful eggers and did not go broody too often. The rooster was very aggressive unfortunately but he did a phenomenal job keeping the girls safe. They can be loud, I myself have not had any loud girls (although the rooster was very noisy).
Bantam eggs are actually considered a delicacy in some areas, as they are richer and much cuter than normal eggs *if eggs can be that cute*. Bantams are generally pretty sweet girls, and it doesn't matter as much if the rooster is aggressive XD because they are the size of your hand. Silkies especially are beautiful. In addition, bantams are extremely good if you have a small amount of space. I personally enjoy both breeds as they are both incredible for several reasons. Whichever breed suits your needs better is obviously the best choice. In addition, both breeds have a similar calm, sweet temperament.

If you want: Eggs, meat, more chicks
And if you have: Multiple nest boxes, larger coop area
then you should probably look for orps.
If you want: Adorable, Chick-sized all life, not aggressive/harmless, rich, small eggs
And if you have: Fewer nest boxes, limited space, neighbors who don't mind more crowing (because bantams often aren't sexed)
You should probably look for bantams.

2 edits:
1: Bantams do eat less/drink less. Def better for budget.
2: If you're just now starting with chickens, both breeds will work but orps will provide with a more well-rounded experience.

there are pros and cons for both breeds. Orpingtons are great, they're like fluffy chicken golden retrievers. They're docile and kind, and their roosters are generally not too aggressive. I myself have had seven orps and 1 rooster. The girls were wonderful eggers and did not go broody too often. The rooster was very aggressive unfortunately but he did a phenomenal job keeping the girls safe. They can be loud, I myself have not had any loud girls (although the rooster was very noisy).
Bantam eggs are actually considered a delicacy in some areas, as they are richer and much cuter than normal eggs *if eggs can be that cute*. Bantams are generally pretty sweet girls, and it doesn't matter as much if the rooster is aggressive XD because they are the size of your hand. Silkies especially are beautiful. In addition, bantams are extremely good if you have a small amount of space. I personally enjoy both breeds as they are both incredible for several reasons. Whichever breed suits your needs better is obviously the best choice. In addition, both breeds have a similar calm, sweet temperament.

If you want: Eggs, meat, more chicks
And if you have: Multiple nest boxes, larger coop area
then you should probably look for orps.
If you want: Adorable, Chick-sized all life, not aggressive/harmless, rich, small eggs
And if you have: Fewer nest boxes, limited space, neighbors who don't mind more crowing (because bantams often aren't sexed)
You should probably look for bantams.

2 edits:
1: Bantams do eat less/drink less. Def better for budget.
2: If you're just now starting with chickens, both breeds will work but orps will provide with a more well-rounded experience.
thanks I have a pretty big backyard. so I had ducks in the past and still have some. I think I'm going to get 7 buff orps and 3 unsexed astrolops hoping one of them to be a male.

Lmk if this is a good idea

thanks I have a pretty big backyard. so I had ducks in the past and still have some. I think I'm going to get 7 buff orps and 3 unsexed astrolops hoping one of them to be a male.

Lmk if this is a good idea
no that's a good idea especially if you get any Australorp roos bc i've heard australorp roos aren't aggressive. I have 3 australorps and they always get in my family's garden so if you have a garden and need fertilizer they're good at that XD. Plus you might get a couple barnies and those are always amazing to have :D

Buff Orpingtons are the quietest natured on your list. My Australorp is very noisy. I heard some breeds of Bantams can be too...

I would recommend Buff Orpingtons or other colors of Orpingtons, or Silkie Bantams if you want quiet chickens.

do bantams brood their own eggs?
Some bantams do go broody and hatch eggs, some do not.
The same is true for larger chickens: some go broody and hatch eggs, some do not.

Bantams are just small chickens. Some are miniature versions of breeds that also exist in a large size (examples: Brahma Bantams, Cochin Bantams, Wyandotte Bantams) Some breeds exist in bantam size but not in a large size (examples: d'Uccles, Sebrights, Japanese).

Back
Top Bottom