🦆 The DUX has woken up! 🦆

Pics
Yesterday Laura and Smørre took eight of the ducklings with them outside for the first time:

The little dragon-baby still stays with his dragon-mommas inside of the duck-house. I am providing it with food and water and it has already grown significantly, but it cannot spend its youth entirely in the dragon-cave, can it?

Last edited:
Yesterday Laura and Smørre took eight of the ducklings with them outside for the first time:

The little dragon-baby still stays with his dragon-mommas inside of the duck-house. I am providing it with food and water and it has already grown significantly, but it cannot spend its youth entirely in the dragon-cave, can it?
That is great Frank that you do not have to worry about Hawks or the drakes bothering the little ones. Your setup seems to work well for all of the ducks which is great.

That is great Frank that you do not have to worry about Hawks or the drakes bothering the little ones. Your setup seems to work well for all of the ducks which is great.
Well, i am worried about hawks, crows, opossums and trash-pandas! But this year it seems the dux had a perfect timing. I got rid of the last masked bandit just two weeks ago, it is too early for young hawks to fly (mid-August and later) and the crows are busy on their nests.
Now the main goal for the little ones grow, grow, grow as quickly as ducklings can. They are eating good and have already identified the humon as a food source:

And Laura has calmed down somewhat too. And finally the dragon-baby visited the big outside, together with dragob-momma Darkbill.

Well, i am worried about hawks, crows, opossums and trash-pandas! But this year it seems the dux had a perfect timing. I got rid of the last masked bandit just two weeks ago, it is too early for young hawks to fly (mid-August and later) and the crows are busy on their nests.
Now the main goal for the little ones grow, grow, grow as quickly as ducklings can. They are eating good and have already identified the humon as a food source:

And Laura has calmed down somewhat too. And finally the dragon-baby visited the big outside, together with dragob-momma Darkbill.
I am amazed how those little ones can run among the bigger non momma ducks and all is fine with everyone. Even your drakes behave themselves it seems which is great. I have some young ones but without a Momma duck I could never let them lose among the rest of the flock because I am worried my drakes would kill them trying to mate them. It seems to be a great setup Frank. How do you keep your ducks from wanting to get into the Trash Panda traps to eat what is in them? I have mine set just outside the pen where they have tried to get in before because I figured I might catch one of my ducks if I put it in the pen.

I am amazed how those little ones can run among the bigger non momma ducks and all is fine with everyone. Even your drakes behave themselves it seems which is great. I have some young ones but without a Momma duck I could never let them lose among the rest of the flock because I am worried my drakes would kill them trying to mate them. It seems to be a great setup Frank. How do you keep your ducks from wanting to get into the Trash Panda traps to eat what is in them? I have mine set just outside the pen where they have tried to get in before because I figured I might catch one of my ducks if I put it in the pen.
Well, the drakes seem to know that the little ones may be their own offspring…

The trap in the video was not baited. I sat it down there to hose it down, Trash Pandas make a mess while sitting in the trap and another mess while the life leaves their bodies…
Usually i use peanut-butter as bait and my ducks hate peanut-butter. I tried to feed it to weak individuals as it is very rich in everything, but they would rather die that swallow that.

When I let my Mallard drake stay in the large pen with my Hen, as soon as a baby hatched he drug it out in the rain and drowned it in a puddle. He was wanting to remate his Hen. It was his offspring too. Some drakes are just not that nice.
Something like that has never happened here. The worst thing is a drake stepping on a duckling or just chasing it away from the food bowl. I am more worried about the drakes, injuring themselves when the ducklings run straight through their legs, making the big drake stumbling and falling.

Back
Top Bottom