🦆 The DUX has woken up! 🦆

We answered a CL ad last night to get a duckling for a single young one I had. He had so many crested and did not know why but would not part with any of them because they were his favorites. I told him I was not interested in any of them. One had a really large crest that hung over the side of his head and was still young. He said that one was called Trump. We all had a good laugh because it was so cute with all of that fluff hanging off of its head. Most of his adults had no crest so he wasn't sure why it showed up in so many of his young ones he had hatched out from them in his huge incubator. He had ducks, geese, turkeys, chickens and gunias galore. We had a hayday looking at everything. They were beautiful.
My first group of ducks had two drakes and one of them quickly earned the name Donald. - Not the disney donald, because of the way he behaved with the females…

@Pyxis - Question: What might be the outcome of a white duck when mate with a white drake? As far as i understand, white is something like the wildcard in duck colors, able to overrule all other colors.
Sunny Sunshine…
full

… started to sit on her eggs around May 31st, so if something has developed - i haven't candled her eggs once - the ducklings should start to hatch around the next weekend...

@Pyxis - Question: What might be the outcome of a white duck when mate with a white drake? As far as i understand, white is something like the wildcard in duck colors, able to overrule all other colors.
Sunny Sunshine…
full

… started to sit on her eggs around May 31st, so if something has developed - i haven't candled her eggs once - the ducklings should start to hatch around the next weekend...

White bred to white is always white :)

But, your white duck in this picture has a black bill - which makes me think she's actually a very light Silver.

White bred to white is always white :)

But, your white duck in this picture has a black bill - which makes me think she's actually a very light Silver.
Her bill was bright orange before she started to lay eggs. It turned green - not black - when she started to withdraw the Anthocyanins from her bill and legs to color the egg-yolks.
Mr Harry Duckhini still has his bright orange bill and legs.

Yesterday's impressions from a way too hot duck-house:

The missing black duckling is doing fine, it just adopted the Dragons and hid under them. They are all drinking and eating peas, meal-worms and vitamin-rice. The two oldest yellow ducklings and the dragon-baby are visibly larger than the little black lintball…

Yesterday's impressions from a way too hot duck-house:

The missing black duckling is doing fine, it just adopted the Dragons and hid under them. They are all drinking and eating peas, meal-worms and vitamin-rice. The two oldest yellow ducklings and the dragon-baby are visibly larger than the little black lintball…
I am surprised that they can eat all of that without any grit. I recently let a duckling of mine have meal worms without grit and it did fine too. They all get along so well too Frank, you are surely Blessed.

I am surprised that they can eat all of that without any grit. I recently let a duckling of mine have meal worms without grit and it did fine too. They all get along so well too Frank, you are surely Blessed.
First: Grit is overrated, ducklings can eat many things without having grit in their gizzards. Birds have inherited the strong stomach acid from their ancestors, the dinosaurs.
Second: Grit is only needed to crush food items that cannot be crushed by the bird's bill, like for example dried grain (corn!).
Grit is goo, it makes the digestion easier and more thorough but it is not a necessity.

So what do i feed the little ducklings: Soup with cooked rice (infused with extra vitamins and minerals), peas, crushed meal-worms, cat-food and pellets from the grinder. With the exception of the exo-skeletons of the meal-worms everything is soft, very nutritious and easy to digest. Those chitin-skeletons won't be digested by grown-up ducks btw. Chitin is one of the toughest substances nature has invented, tougher than cellulose.

Finally i managed to upload yesterday's ducklings video:
Currently there are eight ducklings in the duck-house. Seven of them have formed a duckling flock and have adopted Laura and Smørre as their Momma Ducks. The baby dragon stays separate with it Dragon Mommas. I am responsible for food and water deliveries, its called »meals on humon«.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom