1st Hatching Journey - Little Giant

Pics
You can go into the individual device settings in the Govee app and actually calibrate them so you don't have to do any math when reading the temperature or humidity.

I also suggest doing a salt test to verify their humidity readings. Here's a link that explains how to salt test:

https://citycigarcompany.com/blogs/tips/using-a-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ba0041b5e&_ss=r

Basically, you seal the hygrometer in a baggie with a saturated solution of salt and water, then wait 24-36 hours for it to stabilize. The reading should be 75% humidity under those conditions. You can test as many hygrometers at the same time as will fit in the bag.
Baggies are ok but a sealed jar works better. Baggies tend to leak....don't get me wrong, I've used baggies plenty of times but since I started using a large pickle jar, I've had better accuracy in calibrating my hygrometers.

No, I got these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0872X4H4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It uses the app too and I like how they have displays on them.
Does the app show constant temps over periods of time?
I am not seeing that in the pictures on amazon.
The mini's app looks like this:
Screenshot_20241005-064400.png

This screenshot is over 24 hour period.
I can zoom in to see the readings over and hour period too.

I think this evening's tests went pretty well. Here's the rundown if anyone is interested. (couldn't find my original Govee, so just used the other two.)

The meat thermometer spent about half an hour in the ice bath, but read 38F. Then I compared that one with the two Govees at room temp, which both ran high. I did some math and wrote how much to subtract from each one on masking tape and taped them to the Govees.

Then I put the Govees in the LG, one on the left, one on the right. I spent hours adjusting the LG to get the Govees to read correctly. At that point the humidity was in the low 30s. So I added a couple tablespoons of water. The humidity went up but so did the temps, so I had to adjust for that.

In the end I had the LG at 104F, the left Govee at 99.1, 62% humidity and the right Govee at 99.4, 61% humidity. Which is a tad low on temp and a tad high on humidity (for before lockdown). Not too bad for my first run. I'll run it some more tomorrow.
This high humidity would drown eggs in my bator. I can't remember your hatch rate for your last hatch, but I'm just letting you know that I find that incubating at about 30% humidity is perfect for me.

This high humidity would drown eggs in my bator. I can't remember your hatch rate for your last hatch, but I'm just letting you know that I find that incubating at about 30% humidity is perfect for me.
I’ve never hatched eggs before. I’m getting ready for my first one.

Back
Top Bottom