4H home grown dual purpose meat birds

Looks like a really fun project! Just a quick word from a former 4H leader though - you're going to want to check to make sure that she can show mixed breeds. This does not always depend on the club, many places it depends on the judge and occasionally on the sponsors or venue. And often, even if she can show mixed breeds, it might only be in showmanship, and not as a meat pen.

It might take more than one phone call to figure out! Good luck! I hope she gets the feather-footed naked necks she wants!

Interesting project. Hopefully you get the ones you are hoping for.

Will she be competing in a “meat bird” category? Or is there another category for this project? Is she doing this as a 4-H project?
it is a dual purpose meat bird class as part of her 4-h project... most of the other folks that will be bringing birds in this class(provided fair goes on) will either bring ranger type birds or hatchery heritage like Rhode island red and barred plymouth rocks

Looks like a really fun project! Just a quick word from a former 4H leader though - you're going to want to check to make sure that she can show mixed breeds. This does not always depend on the club, many places it depends on the judge and occasionally on the sponsors or venue. And often, even if she can show mixed breeds, it might only be in showmanship, and not as a meat pen.

It might take more than one phone call to figure out! Good luck! I hope she gets the feather-footed naked necks she wants!
I have read through our fair rules several times and one of the "breeds" that is listed in this specific class is a ranger type hybrid. personally I see no difference between our backyard mix and a meat type hybrid just because ours will be called "3 acres poultry meat bird" (our farm name) and the one listed in the book is a whiting farms ranger type. I have let my daughter know that the judge may see things differently than we do. Last year she took a heritage turkey in the turkey meat class and took reserve champion even though the other birds in the class were all broad breasted turkeys. If the judge is looking at meat qualities( and in the past that was what they have done) then the "breed" is less important for a meat class..... I do understand that there are probably shows or fairs that have different rules but ours seems to just be happy to have kids being involved.

Last edited:
I have read through our fair rules several times and one of the "breeds" that is listed in this specific class is a ranger type hybrid. personally I see no difference between our backyard mix and a meat type hybrid just because ours will be called "3 acres poultry meat bird" (our farm name) and the one listed in the book is a whiting farms ranger type.

I'd double check - actually especially if there are specific breeds listed. Many meat classes are judged on how well the birds are raised, and they restrict them to specific breeds and sometimes even specific hatcheries (like, "whiting farms") specifically to prevent someone coming in with "special" birds to sweep the show.

This rule is usually more aimed to prevent parents with $$$ from basically buying ribbons, but I've seen it also used to keep families who have an advantage - like being able to keep generations of birds or Grandpa has a show-line, etc, from wiping the floor with kids from poor or less advantaged families.

Not that I want to discourage your daughter from showing them! I'd just hate for her to get there and end up having to turn around and take them home.

At most fairs they have an area where kids can display their 4H projects - I'm sure that regardless of rules for the actual poultry show, she could set up a display there with the birds and an outline of her project and understanding of the genetics involved and it would be a huge hit.

I'd double check - actually especially if there are specific breeds listed. Many meat classes are judged on how well the birds are raised, and they restrict them to specific breeds and sometimes even specific hatcheries (like, "whiting farms") specifically to prevent someone coming in with "special" birds to sweep the show.

This rule is usually more aimed to prevent parents with $$$ from basically buying ribbons, but I've seen it also used to keep families who have an advantage - like being able to keep generations of birds or Grandpa has a show-line, etc, from wiping the floor with kids from poor or less advantaged families.

Not that I want to discourage your daughter from showing them! I'd just hate for her to get there and end up having to turn around and take them home.

At most fairs they have an area where kids can display their 4H projects - I'm sure that regardless of rules for the actual poultry show, she could set up a display there with the birds and an outline of her project and understanding of the genetics involved and it would be a huge hit.
You are used to a MUCH bigger fair and area than we are in.

Thank you for your concern.

There are no REAL poultry shows in our area. this is a 4-h fair where we might get 15 kids to participate??? on a good year.

I have reminded my DD that there is no guarantee that this years judge will be like last years judge and base the meat class places on meat qualities alone.

She is prepared to come in last in the class if that is how the judge feels.

20200417_213112.jpg
she has lost a couple but so far the last batch is doing well!

ROFL, my kids were last in 4H in Izard County, Arkansas, so I guarantee you, I am not.

;) I wish you the best of luck in your project and will be rooting for you!
whatever the outcome DD is determined to ride it out.... lol gotta love kids.

I googled your fair and it looks to be very similar to ours.

our poultry barn has the least interest and support at our local fair.

It's what my kids are allowed to do because the playing field is level, you ste not able to buy a guaranteed winning turkey for an exuberant amount, at least not in our area. And the fact that the parents with money go for things like pigs or steers makes this as "fair" a project as can be had. We have supplied 2 other families with turkeys from our flock to help them get started, now the biggest competition will be husbandry, who fed them and handled them the best. I actually like. Our fair doesnt have any specific requirements on where the birds come from just ages and on some species weights. But if you want to take a market goose the rules mention nothing not an age requirement or a weight ?.? So read that one????? Yup my middle daughter has found several geese and plans to take them. I have no idea even howlong it takes to finish out a goose. Oh well we will see what happens and have a better idea for next year. Oh she will probably be the only kid with a goose there....lol

ROFL, my kids were last in 4H in Izard County, Arkansas, so I guarantee you, I am not.

Curiosity got me. Who is/was your judge? Some poultry science professors out of U of A in Fayetteville sometimes judge those fairs. A few years back they even had a program where they would give kids birds to show. Somebody sponsored that, probably Tyson since their headquarters are in that area. I went to a gathering in Fort Smith a few years back where Professor Bramwell gave a presentation and then answered questions about raising them. I wasn't involved, just curious as to what he would say.

The Washington County fair bird show was a pretty big deal, but you are right, each county fair is different. The best way to find out what is going on is to talk to whomever is in charge of that fair.

Curiosity got me. Who is/was your judge? Some poultry science professors out of U of A in Fayetteville sometimes judge those fairs. A few years back they even had a program where they would give kids birds to show. Somebody sponsored that, probably Tyson since their headquarters are in that area.

Oh, wow, we last did it 3 years ago, because we moved and my older kid aged out and the younger doesn't want to join a new club. I'm afraid I don't remember the name of the usual judge.

But 5 (?)years ago we did have a pro judge from the U of A come out and it seemed like every poultry enthusiast in AR showed up at the fair! Everyone got to see some really high-end birds.

When we left, they were still doing a bird share program, sponsored by the county, not Tyson though. Each kid who signed up got 25 RSLs on the promise that they bring a pen of 4 to the fair to be judged and then auctioned with the proceeds going to buy next year's chicks. I always thought that was a really great program. It definitely helped feed families

Back
Top Bottom