A argument for keeping the turner on until day 20.

BuckeyeFoodie

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
So I've been breeding seriously now for about three years, which I know is nothing compared to many people here. However one thing that never made sense to me about incubating eggs was the three-day "lockdown" period where the eggs just sit there "moving into position to hatch". Hens that are brooding eggs certainly don't sit still like statues starting on day 18, and my broody hens had better hatch rates than me with fewer instances of splay leg, so why is the conventional wisdom that we do this with artificial incubating? I decided to keep track, here are my numbers so far.

I use NR 360's (I'm aware that leaving the turner on extra days may not be feasible with other styles of incubator and egg turners in case of early hatchers). I've only done four hatches turning until day 20 so far, but the numbers have been very consistent for each hatch both traditional style and experimental. It should also be noted that I live in a humid area so I dry-incubate at around 35%, and also do not raise humidity until I see an external pip, a practice that raised my hatch rates from 61% to %74.

With the standard lockdown at day 18 I had a 74% hatch rate of fertile eggs that candled with movement at day 18. Hatched chicks with splay-leg was at 30%.

With the turner until day 20 I have a 97% hatch rate of eggs that candled with movement at day 18. Splay leg is down to 5%

I'm going to continue this way this season, so I'll have a larger sample size. Does anyone else do this?

I do regular lockdown most times, occasionally alittle earlier then day 18. Never really had issues with hatching. My hatch rates are consistent.

I use the wet bulb method of incubation.

Back
Top Bottom