A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Okay guys, here is a quick little video showing my Tom. I think he looks good, but is his 'heaviness' in the front just his air sac wobbling? I'm still very new to turkeys. And check out that swooping in of the young ones. Who knows where they were...

Oh, and the crappy lawn is from where we had our pool up for the summer. :)

I don't believe the poster has provided sufficient information to be jumping to any conclusions. I have seen poultry that looked like that from being worked over by other poultry and it didn't have anything to do with disease. Since the poster has not provided any background information regarding any other poultry or animals that may have had contact with that turkey there is no telling what it could be.
The scabs on the head look a lot like pox to me, but I guess it could be from being pecked?
turke_pox_3.PNG

In 2013 I had wet and dry pox in a bunch of chickens, and one pigeon had a scab on it's foot. All but 1 or 2 survived, but I did have to give several of them supportive care.

Regarding blackhead... It does not cause scabs on the head, nor does it turn their heads black, though it might cause their heads to turn purple just before they die.

I know I should never disagree with you, however, I shall this one time.

I will find and post pictures when on my Putor and not my phone. Every picture I have seen of blackhead has pox like spots on the head with scabs and a run down body missing feathers.

I do agree without background we are guessing at what we see in the clouds.

Okay guys, here is a quick little video showing my Tom. I think he looks good, but is his 'heaviness' in the front just his air sac wobbling? I'm still very new to turkeys. And check out that swooping in of the young ones. Who knows where they were...

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. He's just fill of hot air :) Your young ones were probably out playing on your truck again lol

:love I don't have a tom, but I think they all look great!

I know I should never disagree with you, however, I shall this one time.

I will find and post pictures when on my Putor and not my phone. Every picture I have seen of blackhead has pox like spots on the head with scabs and a run down body missing feathers.

I do agree without background we are guessing at what we see in the clouds.
I look forward to seeing those pictures.

Here is one just before euthanasia:
blackhead_yellow_1.png

Source: https://www.studyblue.com/notes/note/n/path-exam-4/deck/4743022

turkey_blackhead.jpg

Source:http://www.k-state.edu/parasitology/625tutorials/Histomonas.html

The two turkeys I lost to it didn't have scabs either, nor did any of the peafowl. This guy died 3 hours after this picture was taken. Note zero feather loss.

Last edited:
The scabs on the head look a lot like pox to me, but I guess it could be from being pecked?
View attachment 1144573
The missing wing feathers and bare back area looks like repeated rough breedings to me and I have seen the heads of hens get worked over pretty bad by a rough breeding tom. Since the OP did not present any background information there is no way to know what the problem is and any guesses are just that. You may well be correct but...

I let everyone out this morning early when it was still dark. Which I have never done before. I was up working all night. No surprise. I decided to take a quick duck and turkey break and go outside to check on everyone. I was horrified because I couldn't find Yumyum anywhere. I'm outside trying not to scream for her. I didn't want to wake the neighbor. I sat down in the driveway and started to cry thinking the worst. I noticed the ducks walking around the house in a circle looking up and talking. I got up and the pastor from next door came over with coffee I asked him to help me find her and he pointed up. She was on the roof.View attachment 1144149 View attachment 1144150

Sometimes they give us such a scare. I thought the turkeys would only be jumping on things because they were young, but now I remember some of my other hens would climb on things too. Oh well!

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. He's just fill of hot air :) Your young ones were probably out playing on your truck again lol

Thanks! I felt my Toms chest tonight when he was roosting. His chest felt a little mushy, but he's at least two years old, so he's bound to be a little chubby. He seems happy now that he has all of these newer turkey friends, and they are giving him more exercise too.

My truck is now safely under the carport. Not 100% secure, but enough that it's not an obvious playpen anymore. :oops:

:love I don't have a tom, but I think they all look great!

Thanks! They seem pretty happy and healthy.

So my poults are going through their "uglies" (that's what rabbit breeder friends called it when they went from fuzzy puffballs to lanky things before filling out).

Their neck fluff is falling out and they now prefer to all perch on the 7 ft high perch we installed.

Glad we built the coop pen so sturdy... can tell some critter attempted a break in. Just a small portion of 1/2 inch hardware cloth bent in slightly. My husband attached the hardware cloth using screws and oversized washers and on the exterior of the door is 2x4 thicker wire. The whole door has boards around on the inside lip to prevent being pushed inward as well. I assume a raccoon because the barn cat water had some food left submerged in it. I have the storage unit circle shaped padlocks on both doors to their coop with the keys zip tied next to it so unless the raccoon figures that out and some sliding deadbolts too he ain't getting in.

Back
Top Bottom