A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Those reds are gorgeous! I would have killed to have one or two of those in my rainbow flock, haha. I hardly can ever find uncommon colors here. Always just the same red, black, slate, royal palm, narragansett, bronze, white... which are pretty birds! I just like the weird ones.
Thank you I like the uncommon colors myself, always try breeding a few new varieties each year.

The wild hen has adopted you. We won't tell. She's just a freeloading wanna be domestic. Didn't she co parent a nest? where did her poults go?
Not that one. There are two of them that have moved in. The other one shared a nest with one of the Sweetgrass hens.

That one never laid an egg once she got here. The other one hatched one poult of her own. It got killed the next day probably by another turkey. Its head was crushed by beak marks. I seriously doubt that anything other than a turkey could have gotten that close to those two hens.

Last edited:
Growing poults are stupidly ballsy sometimes. Had the kids out in a big dog exercise pen today and one of the sweetgrass poults started squaring up with my royal palm hen. Very funny. Stretched their little neck out and puffed up and everything trying to trill. Hen tried to fight back but kept pecking metal.

The other one hatched one poult of her own. It got killed the next day probably by another turkey. Its head was crushed by beak marks.
Was the hen killed while trying to protect her poult? Were the turkeys penned, or were they free ranging? Is it normal for turkeys to smash each other's heads? That sounds worse than what roosters do...

Was the hen killed while trying to protect her poult? Were the turkeys penned, or were they free ranging? Is it normal for turkeys to smash each other's heads? That sounds worse than what roosters do...
They were free ranging and still on the nest. A different tom was loose that day and the other wild hen was showing a lot of interest in the poults. The hens were still on the nest.

Toms have been known to smash eggs and kill poults to get a hen back into breeding mode.

Royal Palm is probably what he is referring to as a black palm.

You can find more false information on YouTube than most anywhere else. Don't forget about the idiot that claims his Turken rooster is half turkey and half chicken.
I remember on a Russian-language forum one dude asked if there was a hybrid of a duck and a goose, and called them somehow "duck goose". Then he wrote some other nonsense, in the end I could not resist and when he asked a strange question, what is better to bring ash or manure into the garden, I rudely joked, giving him advice to sit in the manure and sprinkle ashes on his head.

My prisoners. While I am forced to keep them in the room (although there is a window wide open on the other side so that there is clean air, but the window is also barred - this is done so that the foxes cannot get in there), when I put things in order on the place where they will walk, I will open the door so they can get out. While they sit in the barn room.
Фото2950.jpg

My prisoners. While I am forced to keep them in the room (although there is a window wide open on the other side so that there is clean air, but the window is also barred - this is done so that the foxes cannot get in there), when I put things in order on the place where they will walk, I will open the door so they can get out. While they sit in the barn room.
View attachment 2762350
What kind of turkeys do you have?

Back
Top Bottom