A little advice needed please.

FunckyChick

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Pinoso, Alicante, Spain.
I have kept chickens for 6 years, but only hens. The last of my old girls died 3 months ago. So, I bought 6 chicks from the local pet shop, just before lockdown (Spain) no idea how old they were but they all had proper feathers. I was told there would be a maximum of 1 cock. 8 weeks on I have at least 2 cocks (they are both crowing), possibly 3...but I don’t know yet! Photos attached.

They are all getting along so I don’t want to part or be parted from them. But I feel that I am going to need to add some more girls as they mature to keep them all happy. I have 4 chicken houses and they have plenty of room.

My quandary is that I introduced 2 additional chickens to my ‘old girls’ and they were never truly accepted into the flock, despite following all the hints and tips I found on the internet.

How many mature girls should I add per cock and should I do it now, before they are fully mature? Or should I just let my girls have chicks and move any new cocks on?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Not seeing your photos @FunckyChick .
I'd separate for the males for now, if they are harassing the females.
What are your goals for keeping chickens, do you need any males?

Adding more females may or may not accommodate your 2-3 males.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @FunckyChick
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1589113345932.png

Thank you so much for the info. For some reasons the photos will not attach.

The males are not harassing the femails yet. They have not reached point of lay. Just want to be prepared.

Guess that’s what I get for buying chicks! Lol. I shall wait and see what their temperament is like before adding more females or rehoming cocks. They all seem to have sorted out their pecking order and they get along well...at the moment. I suppose it’s a waiting game.

Welcome!
It's likely that your pullets will be stressed and overwhelmed by those cockerels as they mature, so be ready to separate them, get many more pullets/hens, or eliminate cockerels. It's too soon to know which cockerel would be the best 'keeper', so watch carefully to evaluate them.
Hatchmates tend to be 'family', sometimes for years, and adding another small group of hens or pullets will give you two 'family groups', which is fine. As the cockerels mature, they will move into and develop their own groups of hens who like them, and given plenty of space, all might be well. Or not.
Be ready to remove difficult actors!
Mary

Last edited:
At one time, I had a completely ridiculous rooster-to-hen ratio (if I recall correctly, it was 3 roosters to 4 hens) and it worked just fine. The roosters did some minor posturing, but no fights. There was some minor feather loss due to breeding behavior on the hens‘ backs, but nothing of concern.

The only time I had issues with a rooster was one standard-size guy who was rough on 2 bantam girls I had, to the point of drawing blood on their backs. They started hiding in the coop all the time. I put him in “solitary confinement“ (small separate coop with attached run) and that solved the problem. The other roosters I had at that time were fine with the bantam girls.

That said, I think I have been very lucky. My rule was, the roosters can all stay as long as they are not aggressive to people and don’t hurt each other or the hens. But I was always prepared to separate or cull if there were problems.

Welcome!
It's likely that your pullets will be stressed and overwhelmed by those cockerels as they mature, so be ready to separate them, get many more pullets/hens, or eliminate cockerels. It's too soon to know which cockerel would be the best 'keeper', so watch carefully to evaluate them.
Hatchmates tend to be 'family', sometimes for years, and adding another small group of hens or pullets will give you two 'family groups', which is fine. As the cockerels mature, they will move into and develop their own groups of hens who like them, and given plenty of space, all might be well. Or not.
Mary
Welcome!
Mary

That’s given me some hope. I’ve got attached to them so am going to give it a go and move them on if it doesn’t work. The pet shop promised to take them back if I got more than 1 cock, so I do have that option, worst comes to the worst.

At one time, I had a completely ridiculous rooster-to-hen ratio (if I recall correctly, it was 3 roosters to 4 hens) and it worked just fine. The roosters did some minor posturing, but no fights. There was some minor feather loss due to breeding behavior on the hens‘ backs, but nothing of concern.

The only time I had issues with a rooster was one standard-size guy who was rough on 2 bantam girls I had, to the point of drawing blood on their backs. They started hiding in the coop all the time. I put him in “solitary confinement“ (small separate coop with attached run) and that solved the problem. The other roosters I had at that time were fine with the bantam girls.

That said, I think I have been very lucky. My rule was, the roosters can all stay as long as they are not aggressive to people and don’t hurt each other or the hens. But I was always prepared to separate or cull if there were problems.

Great Rule!

I’ve got attached to them so am going to carefully add some more girls. If that doesn’t help. The pet shop promised to take back any surplus cocks (if I got more than 1 cock). So, I do have that option, worst comes to the worst.

Back
Top Bottom