ABOUT TO SET 24 MARANS EGGS! ANYONE ELSE SETTING EGGS? DEC. 14-16, Hatch Jan. 3-5th.

I just set 6 blue/black/splash SILKIE eggs on Friday (12/14). This is my 5th hatch, but the very first from my own chickens.

I'm so excited because these eggs are from little Mysty Blue and her boyfriend Mr. Puff! Mysty Blue is a dark blue and Mr. Puff is a splash. (I actually re-homed Mr. Puff on Wednesday because he was overbreeding Mysty Blue. We kept Leo Pierre (in the background) so hoping he'll take over rooster responsibilities. Leo Pierre is just such a sweet gentleman and never "forces" himself on the girls like Mr. Puff did.)

That's them in the front of the picture. Leo Pierre is in the back.

It took me 11 days to collect these 6 eggs and I can't wait to candle next week.
fl.gif

I just set 6 blue/black/splash SILKIE eggs on Friday (12/14). This is my 5th hatch, but the very first from my own chickens.

I'm so excited because these eggs are from little Mysty Blue and her boyfriend Mr. Puff! Mysty Blue is a dark blue and Mr. Puff is a splash. (I actually re-homed Mr. Puff on Wednesday because he was overbreeding Mysty Blue. We kept Leo Pierre (in the background) so hoping he'll take over rooster responsibilities. Leo Pierre is just such a sweet gentleman and never "forces" himself on the girls like Mr. Puff did.)

That's them in the front of the picture. Leo Pierre is in the back.

It took me 11 days to collect these 6 eggs and I can't wait to candle next week.
fl.gif

Awesome, i've never owned silkies. They are really interesting looking chickens. I've always heard they are great brooders also. Do you still have your Welsummer (Ginger)? How do you like her? I have lots of Welsummers, love em!

Awesome, i've never owned silkies. They are really interesting looking chickens. I've always heard they are great brooders also. Do you still have your Welsummer (Ginger)? How do you like her? I have lots of Welsummers, love em!
Yes, silkies are different looking than your "average" chicken........but we absolutely love their sweet personality. They are like kittens and love to be cuddled. Mysty Blue is our first silkie that turned out to be a girl and started laying eggs. She hasn't gone broody yet. (We've had LOTS of silkie cockerels, unfortunately) I've got a Buff Orpington (Buffy) that goes broody a bunch. She's turned into a great momma hen and has hatched eggs we get her AND even chicks from the feed store.

I noticed you have Welsummers. Ginger has turned into a gorgeous girl and I'm glad we discovered this breed. We bought her at the feed store as a chick and stuck her under Buffy with a couple of Trader Joe chicks she hatched. Ginger just started laying eggs a week ago.
big_smile.png
Oh my goodness they are pretty! She is sort of ornery with her eggs though and lays them behind the nest boxes. Here is a picture of Ginger and one of her pullet eggs (with Barred Rock and RIR eggs)

Yes, silkies are different looking than your "average" chicken........but we absolutely love their sweet personality. They are like kittens and love to be cuddled. Mysty Blue is our first silkie that turned out to be a girl and started laying eggs. She hasn't gone broody yet. (We've had LOTS of silkie cockerels, unfortunately) I've got a Buff Orpington (Buffy) that goes broody a bunch. She's turned into a great momma hen and has hatched eggs we get her AND even chicks from the feed store. I noticed you have Welsummers. Ginger has turned into a gorgeous girl and I'm glad we discovered this breed. We bought her at the feed store as a chick and stuck her under Buffy with a couple of Trader Joe chicks she hatched. Ginger just started laying eggs a week ago. :D Oh my goodness they are pretty! She is sort of ornery with her eggs though and lays them behind the nest boxes. Here is a picture of Ginger and one of her pullet eggs (with Barred Rock and RIR eggs)
Nice looking wellie hen. Thanks for pics. Here is a pic of the wellie eggs I got yesterday. I have a dozen of these in the bator

I set 12 yesterday. Just random eggs from our (very) random flock. All were only a day or two old so I'm hoping we have a good hatch this time around. At least I can rule out "old eggs" reason for not hatching!

I set 12 yesterday. Just random eggs from our (very) random flock. All were only a day or two old so I'm hoping we have a good hatch this time around. At least I can rule out "old eggs" reason for not hatching!
Nice! Good luck! gamebirdsonly said above they have set 6 & 8 week old eggs with success. You ever hear of that?

I finally got a shipment of eggs i'd been anxiously awaiting all week: 7 Cream Legbars. They took a few extra days to make it to me, but I had them in the incubator by Saturday evening. I think this should make my hatch day Jan 5th. It's my very first attempt, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I finally got a shipment of eggs i'd been anxiously awaiting all week: 7 Cream Legbars. They took a few extra days to make it to me, but I had them in the incubator by Saturday evening. I think this should make my hatch day Jan 5th. It's my very first attempt, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Good luck
fl.gif

Good luck! I know what you mean about the shipping delays. I've been shipping eggs lately (or at least trying to) and my shipments have been taking up to a week to be delivered with 2-3 day priority mail service. I'm not shipping anything else until after Christmas.
My hatch date should be around the 5th also. I got mine in Friday morning, let them settle over night and put them in Saturday morning.
I have 8 chicks about 9 weeks old in a big brooder that I need to move out to my breeding pens. But I'm afraid the older hens and roos will kill the chicks if I just put them in. So for now I'm building another coop for these until they are big enough to go into my breeding pens. I have quite a lot of left over boards around my place that I can build it out of. I hope to have less that $50 in the whole build.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom