Advice on knowing chickens age

Chita

Hatching
Aug 30, 2024
1000014761.jpg
Hello. I live in Morocco. I've never had chickens before but my neighbour gave my mother in law a chicken. Initially she wanted to eat her but it was decided we'd keep her for eggs. She's very friendly and mostly free ranges in the garden but has a coop with run. I was concerned about her being lonely so we decided to go get two more chickens which we got from a market being assured they were of egg laying age. The two new chickens are scared of me and I have kept them in the run instead of free ranging as honestly I think I may struggle to get them back. It has been 6 days and no signs of eggs. I'm wondering if they are older and past their laying years. For me it's no matter (vegetarian) but am curious and also would like to know if I should be checking on them to see if everything is okay or just giving them space since they are so scared of me. I have read online about recognising ages but haven't found any comparison pictures so finding it hard to judge. Particularly the black one as she looks older in the face to me and seems to sleep a lot. I was just wondering if anyone could give me insight/advice

Attachments

• 20240830_154440.jpg
    20240830_154440.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240830_154446.jpg
    20240830_154446.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 9
Hens will lay eggs up to and beyond age five or six. Generally, the older the hen the more she carries her body close to the ground. Young hens, ages two or three, will appear to have longer legs than older hens.

Give your new hens a little more time to settle in. They will lay eggs when they feel safe and comfortable.

An easy, quick way to get new chickens to come to you is to use a treat and a vocal signal. Repeat it several times over a few days. They learn very quickly to associate something good to eat with a signal. No one ever needs to chase and catch a chicken.

A close up of the beak, and of the legs - but really between the ages 1.5 and 3 years, it would be hard, and I think inaccurate to say, this bird is that age. After 3 year, they just look old, they walk old, and they can be cranky.

I look at their legs and beaks, but it is a guess. In my mind the brown looks younger than the black and gray.

IT is not uncommon for them to take days to a couple of weeks off from laying after a move to a strange place.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom