ALABAMA!!

Tractor Supply may mark them up. but you will not have to pay a shipping fee. The shipping is sometimes as high as the chicks.
My Black Austrolorps came from McMurry. I have been pleased with our hens. They lay everyday and they are friendly with my grandchildren.

What part of Central Alabama are you from icandi? We live in Munford. There seems to always be someone around us with chickens for sale.

If you want them to be friendly, I recommend you handle them while they are young to get the used to you.

Welcome to BYC.

Chicks at Tractor Supply are REALLY affordable. I paid between $1.99 for straightrun to $2.99 for females. They're pretty inbred looking, but they're healthy. Haven't lost a single one.

LOL. My husband went to high school here but I was in the Adger area (the sticks!). The streets here are a mess with half of them named the same 'way', 'circle', or 'ave' lol. I've been here nearly 10 years and would get lost if I didn't stick to the streets I know.
Yeah if I had a rooster that didn't feel the need to let everyone know he's there all day long it would be ok maybe. I think most of my neighbors would come fuss straight to me before going to the city. They must not have fussed too much about the 6 dogs outside alone barking ALL DAY for years or it would have been taken care of sooner.
My FIL is one of those talkative knows everyone kind of people. It seems like he knows everyone every where he goes so your husband probably knows him
wink.png
He lived here in Pleasant Grove a good while.

It made me so mad when they went to the city, because they were just looking to cause trouble.

They reported my dogs for not having tags too. My dogs are in a seperate area of my yard, away from the road. The only way anyone would know they didn't have tags was for them to live behind us or next to us. They're untrained dogs, so taking them to the vet for anything is pure insanity.. but, we had to, so they could get tags.

So we got tags, and they were tag 8 and 9! There's seven other dogs in my city that have tags...
roll.png
I promise you there's more than seven dogs on my STREET.

Folks can be so silly. By the time the city came about the rooster, he had already been killed, cooked and eaten a week before.

Anyway, hubby is Justin Best, graduated PG high school in 98. His parents were really into the whole PTA, band parent thing. It seems all of Pleasant Grove is slowly moving toward Shelby county.. many of his old friends and people he knew live in Helena/Alabaster/Calera.

I have some extra chicks if anyone is interested. Some are full blooded Black Orpingtons and some are full blooded BCM from nice dark eggs. There are also some barnyard mixes. The problem is, I don't know for sure which is which! I will sell them for $4 each if you pick them up in Tuscaloosa County.

I'm new here to the site, but I live in Alabama. We're south of Huntsville-between Decatur and Cullman.

Oh and I'm not really a football fan, but I love that you have to live here to understand the Roll Tide/War Eagle rivalry.Other folks just don't get it.
smile.png

Chicks at Tractor Supply are REALLY affordable. I paid between $1.99 for straightrun to $2.99 for females. They're pretty inbred looking, but they're healthy. Haven't lost a single one.

See quality.... its all in what you want I reckon. I can get you black and splash jersey giants all day for 2 bucks a pop and assure you they are a lot better then hatchery stock.

I have some extra chicks if anyone is interested. Some are full blooded Black Orpingtons and some are full blooded BCM from nice dark eggs. There are also some barnyard mixes. The problem is, I don't know for sure which is which! I will sell them for $4 each if you pick them up in Tuscaloosa County.
I'm interested!
frow.gif

At the very earliest it would be the weekend before I could get there. I live in Enterprise. so, that's a good three hour drive for me.

See quality.... its all in what you want I reckon. I can get you black and splash jersey giants all day for 2 bucks a pop and assure you they are a lot better then hatchery stock.

I just have them for eggs. They may not be the prettiest, but they lay very well and they're healthy. I like that I got to see them in person before buying. The ones that are too weak to ship, have died by the time they make it onto the store floor. They're vaccinated and most likely not carrying awful diseases.

If you intend to breed or show, you don't want to order from a hatchery or get anything from TSC. Best to find a breeder at that point.

I'm terrified getting chicks/chickens from backyard breeders. Just too many darn horror stories. You can quarantine all you want, but some things don't show until much, MUCH later. That just scares me
hmm.png
And really, it's just a few bad apples. Many folks are just fine. But then there's a few that ignore warning signs like birds dying for 'no reason'. I would purchase eggs from backyard breeders, lot less risk there.

If I had the ability to breed, I would totally get some quality birds from a reputable breeder.

Anyone want to buy a soapbox and two cents?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom