ALABAMA!!

Hi LemonDoodles

I looked here on BYC at the breeds chart to find out what I wanted. I didn't care what color eggs my hens laid but I knew I wanted large eggs. I wanted hens that were somewhat docile and wouldn't mind some confinement because I only have less than 1/2 acre and I'm really afraid to free range them because of all the hawks I've seen around here in addition to dogs. I wanted hens that wouldn't be too broody and I wanted standard size hens. The fact that they are dual purpose is just a bonus for me although I don't really know if I could eat them. I found the Plymouth Barred Rocks met all the criteria that were important for me. Then I found out my great uncle raised PBRs back in the 30's and 40's and he swore they were the best. Additionally, a guy at work keeps PBRs and he says they're the best as far as he was concerned.

I've seen some really nice looking chickens as I've been trying to research the whole subject, but I'm just so pleased with my Barred Rocks, I know I made the right choice for me. I got them at Saddle Rack out in Elkmont and the guy there was super nice.

Good luck with your flock.

Quote:
Don't you just love Mike from the Saddle Rack? I got 12 of mine from him. He always has new chicks and I love to look at his livestock out back. He has a little bit of everything. Also, his feed is WAY cheaper then here in Harvest. It's worth the trip there to buy your feed and pine chips if you use those.
Glad you like your PBR. I do not have any of those, but maybe in the future, ya never know!

Hello, from Sand Mountain Alabama. I have silkies,peafowl,turkeys,orpingtons,frizzles,sizzles toy poodles and donkeys, for now.
ROLL TIDE

I live outside of Auburn and looking for a home for a mutt roo. He was hatched this spring from a silkie and I bantam roo. He is beautiful, but starting to fight his dad. Need a home for him, I only have one other roo so I know his dad is.... please anyone have room. ruby

Well we're here. Going to Fairport tomorrow.

Haven't been able to follow things here. It might be best to pm me with help comments. There are so many posts to follow here. Good garden o' peas.

I did get an e-mail about a show but we'll be gone by then.
sad.png

Anyhow as usually everyone is nice here and polite.

Take care,

Rancher

Quote:
I always enjoy Alabama no matter what the weather. Last time the tornado warning was exciting and not to scary.
big_smile.png
This time there was thunder that shook the house. Lord have mercy! I was up drinking tea in the am and boy was I surprised. We get storms but usually not that noisy.

Of course when we get snow we get SNOW. I think last year we got close to 200".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom