ALABAMA!!

Desarei, the most important thing you can do in this heat is make sure they have sufficient shade and water that is in the shade. Some people add fans and such, but we're looking at months of heat. Make sure your coop is open on at least two sides so a breeze can make its way through sufficiently. Shade and water are key. :)

In my other life I train dogs...one of the things I have seen done many times is training a chicken with a clicker!

They are $45 for the pair but the price is negotiable. I will have to get pics and post them.
I know it's a pretty color isn't it, Desirai? You can have these if you want them.
wink.png

I have 8 buff laced and 9 gold laced brahma chicks, 4 days old, for sale. I will take 340.00 for all 17. If you research these, you will find this price is the least by far these have sold for. These and 10 coronation sussex is all I have left , they are 8 to 10 weeks old, 8 pullets and 2 cockerals, 250.00 for the 10. I held these for someone who didn't pick them up. The coronation were the fastest to grow out, and lay as good or better than my reds.

I'm almost ashamed to admit all of this but, but I have 32 Nankin chicks in two brooders atm, about 3 weeks old. The night before last I took 3 grilled chicken tenders and shredded them up into the fibers, and hand fed them to the chicks. They completely went nuts. Tonight I got home from work and walked in and they made a "chicken pile" in the corner of the brooder closest to me trying to get to me to see if I had more..... lol.

hey you guys, I'm having some issues! And I know you guys can relate since we're from Alabama!

The heat has been pretty bad (I live in Etowah county)

How can I keep my poor chickens cool? this is my very first experience with chickens. They're almost 50 days old and are outside in their coop. They have shade and water. But they lay sprawled out in the dirt and pant really heavy. I feel so bad for them.

Is there anything I can do???

Depending on the breed, of course, chickens have varying levels of heat tolerance. If you have a heat tolerant breed, the panting is enough, if not you may try cooling their feet. Place a wide, shallow pan in the coop and occasionally add some ice cubes. Not so many that you lower the water temp to near freezing, just enough that the water is cool to the touch. The chickens will walk in the water and cool their feet, make a muddy mess in and out of the pan, and will love it! I have a spring that comes from underground near the coop. My chickens like to walk in it when it gets really hot. It dries up mid June and I have to use a pan. Just make sure it is not too deep, I use about 2", and that they can get out easily. I put bricks against two ends.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom