All chickens killed but one escaped. Heartbroken.

lafinestra66

Chirping
Apr 4, 2023
Wisconsin
Something broke down the fence to my run and killed four out of five of my hens yesterday. I believe it was during the day because no one was near the coop area and they were all out in the run (if it was after dark, they would have been in/near the coop getting ready for bed). I went outside to close the coop up when I got home and then I found them. I've only had them for about a year and a half but they were a joy.

Does this sound like a dog? Coyotes? Seems like something big because their metal and wood perch was ripped out of the ground and the metal was bent.

I feel awful and like I am in a nightmare and this isn't real. RIP Henrietta, Agatha, Tabitha and Clara.

Attachments

• PXL_20240820_234733182.jpg
    PXL_20240820_234733182.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20240820_234737879.jpg
    PXL_20240820_234737879.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240820_235050467.jpg
    PXL_20240820_235050467.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240820_234846007.jpg
    PXL_20240820_234846007.jpg
    814.8 KB · Views: 21
I'm sorry about your ladies:hugsI would get some heavy duty fencing before I put any other birds back in there. Chicken wire keeps chickens in, but unfortunately it doesn't keep anything out.
Thank you ❤️ we are home most of the day 5 out of 7 days a week. I wish this would not have happened one of the days I was gone. I feel horrible.

I am not sure I feel safe having chickens in my yard again with a big predator around (not sure what it was unfortunately). I live in a suburban neighborhood so I feel like it maybe was someone's dog nearby.

It's hard to say what it could have been. Pictures of the dead hens might help identify what got them or it might not. I'm so sorry about your girls. I've only had mine for 3 months, and when they disappeared for 5 hours recently after a hawk attack, I was heartbroken. VERY relieved when they came home. Chickens can become a big part of our hearts just as easily as a dog or cat for sure

It's hard to say what it could have been. Pictures of the dead hens might help identify what got them or it might not. I'm so sorry about your girls. I've only had mine for 3 months, and when they disappeared for 5 hours recently after a hawk attack, I was heartbroken. VERY relieved when they came home. Chickens can become a big part of our hearts just as easily as a dog or cat for sure
My dad already buried them. I couldn't take walking out there again this morning and seeing them again. They weren't really ripped up at all. Their bodies were intact. Nothing was gone or eaten. Just a few smallish bloody wounds in their torsos, etc. and very little blood.

My dad already buried them. I couldn't take walking out there again this morning and seeing them again. They weren't really ripped up at all. Their bodies were intact. Nothing was gone or eaten. Just a few smallish bloody wounds in their torsos, etc. and very little blood.
Sounds like one of my chickens after my dog killed it,But she half ate the other one she caught.

I'm guessing it was a dog or dogs, then. They'll just kill for fun as long as they're fed

If and when you're ready for more chickens, build a fortress for them. Make their coop/run Fort Knox. Give them lots of places to hide if you don't already have safe spots for them around your yard when they're out. Losses will probably still happen but make it as difficult as you can for predators to get your girls in the future

And I hope you don't feel guilty for this happening... I know I probably would, but the most important thing we can do is learn from these times, not beat ourselves up 🫂

I'm guessing it was a dog or dogs, then. They'll just kill for fun as long as they're fed

If and when you're ready for more chickens, build a fortress for them. Make their coop/run Fort Knox. Give them lots of places to hide if you don't already have safe spots for them around your yard when they're out. Losses will probably still happen but make it as difficult as you can for predators to get your girls in the future

And I hope you don't feel guilty for this happening... I know I probably would, but the most important thing we can do is learn from these times, not beat ourselves up 🫂
I feel terribly guilty. I thought I was being safer because I didn't let them free range unsupervised but I guess I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom